What is the Bordetella vaccination for?

My dog just got his rabies vaccination last month and now he has to go in for the Bordetella vaccination. I was wondering, what is it for? Is it really necessary? Why didn't they just give it to him when we were in there last month?

zboys

Asked by zboys at 10:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Pets

• It's for Kennel cough in case your dog in kept around other dogs... Not sure why they waited.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• It is for kennel cough. But the only time it is really required is if the dog goes to a kennel or groomer. I personally never get it because more often then not the vaccine itself give the dog kennel cough. My dogs are around other dogs all the time and have not gotten yet. There is still the chance of course but it is not as useful as the other vaccines.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:51 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Yes, it is Kennel Cough and I personally wouldn't get it unless the dog goes to a kennel, groomer, or dog shows regularly. In most cases, it will also be required if your dog goes to doggie daycare.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:41 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I am a vet tech and its to prevent Kennel Cough. Its required for dogs to go to the groomer, kennel, dog parks, doggie daycares. Kennel Cough is Airborne and can be passed from a dog 50 ft away. Its sounds like a horrible chest cough and its very hard to get rid of sometimes can turn into phenomia!

Danielle
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 2:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• The Bordetella vaccine protects against 2-3 of the most common causes of Kennel Cough (depending on the vaccine used). It does not protect against all causes, so your dog can still get it if exposed to something that is not in the vaccine.

I have worked at pet hospitals for years and I would recommend it for every dog. Most commonly, dogs get it when in close proximity to other dogs in boarding or grooming situations, but they are at risk with any contact with other dogs such as through the fence with a neighbor's dog, any time they go to the pet hospital, in obedience class, at dog competitions, and at pet stores. They do not have to be housed with the other dogs to get it - any exposure causes a potential risk.

Some vets only recommend it for dogs at higher risk, like those boarding and going to the groomer, but not those that are at lower risk. Talk to your vet about your dog's exposure and risk and go from there.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 1:51 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• The kennel/doggie daycare I work for doesnt require that vaccine (although we reccomend it) simply because Kennel Cough is a lot like the human common cold/flu. There are several different strains of it and its not 100% guarenteed that your dog's vaccine will prevent the certain strain they may come in contact with.
    Anonymous