how bad is it to get your wisdom teeth pulled?

OMG I am in so much pain b/c my wisdom tooth just decided now 3 weeks before my wedding to come through! My gum is so swollen & sore. I just want to know what to expect. I can handle pain, I have a pretty high tolerance for it. But I am a major baby when it comes to the dentist! I know I need all 4 pulled, but only the 1 is bothering me right now. Its been a year since the 1st one showed up...and I know I should have went then but I am so scared of the dentist! However I do take my kids every 6 months on the dot b/c I dont want them to have teeth like mine.....I know I have a few cavities that need to be filled too, they never have & still havent bothered me, but while I am there might as well do it all! B/c I wont want to go back!

TAY-NATESMOM

Asked by TAY-NATESMOM at 10:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Health

• I had all 4 of mine surgically removed. They put me to sleep for it, so it wasn't so bad. I did kind of come to a little bit once during the surgery and felt them digging around in my jaw trying to fish out a piece of my tooth (they were impacted and had to be cut into pieces to come out). It didn't hurt though. Afterward was the worst part, I was SOOO tired for DAYS (I've heard from others that having wisdom teeth out does that sometimes) and my jaw was really sore. But it wasn't terrible.

I doubt that they will do your cavities and the wisdom teeth in the same appointment. You can try, though, sometimes you'll get a flexible dentist that will do all your work in one appointment and just make it for a day he has few patients.

I hope you get it taken care of! It's not so bad, I promise. Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I had all 4 of mine taken out when I was 16...a long time ago, LOL. If I can remember correctly, I was up and about in less than a week. One of mine was actually horizontal, that one hurt the most. It was the care after the surgery that helped speed up recovery. Im sure surgery today is a breeze...theyve come a long way since the 70s.
    Good luck with the surgery and Best wishes to your upcoming marriage :)
    Kathy7_20

Answer by Kathy7_20 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• thank you I have been so worried about getting it done, but you have reassured me that it wont be that bad?
    TAY-NATESMOM

Answer by TAY-NATESMOM at 10:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• It can depend on how close the teeth are to the surface of the gums for how easy and fast the recovery is.

For what it's worth, I was probably on the "worst case scenario" side with my wisdoms were really far in from the gums. It was a brutal removal (that I was asleep through) that left my face bruised and swollen for about 2 weeks.

I guess I would say just in case you have it rough like me, get it done now while you still have time to recover before your wedding.
    Anonymous

• they are actually above the gum, but the 1 isnt completly through yet & that is the one with the swollen gum above it!
    TAY-NATESMOM

Answer by TAY-NATESMOM at 10:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• i had 4 taken out at once...they were not impacted at all. i had no pain, or swelling, i never even took an advil!
    also, i had a filling fall out and 12 years later had it taken care of. the dentist was kind of worried that the nerve would be dead, but all was fine!
    dentist's are trying to have better offices to make people more comfortable. some have tv's on the ceiling :)
    i am trying to give you good stories
    please go in...you definitely don't want to wait until right before your wedding!
    good luck to you and congrats on the upcoming wedding!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• great question! mine have been killing me... one in particular. i told my sister about it (painful, puss, swollen, etc) and she knows i'm too stubborn to call the dentist- so she called and made me and appt to get them checked out! i will let you know how it goes. i think for the appt with xrays will be about $160, who knows how much the actual removal will be.
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 11:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Get them out sooner rather than later. Call on Monday and make the appointment.

Mine all came out at once. They weren't even close to the surface. Everything was fine except I let a moron drive me home from surgery and it all went down hill from there.
    1. Post anesthesia you will want to barf. Do NOT get in the car with an idiot. If you are prone to motion sickness, get a ride from an Amish person. I begged this idiot not to drive fast, puked all over myself and tore out my stitches barfing. This led to infection and dry sockets.
    2. Have your recovery food ready before you go in. Pudding, mashed sweet potatoes, yogurt, broth. Not grits. Not grits. Not grits.
    3. Have lists of everything you need SO to do made in advance. You'll just want to sleep the first day. If the house is a mess the next morning you'll over do it and then slow your recovery.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:35 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• The dr that removed mine told me, unless the other teeth are giving you trouble, don't have them removed. I had the upper 2 removed. I didn't feel no pain during and he numbed the roof of my mouth as well as my tongue. After the surgery, I had a lot of pain, but once I took the painkillers, I was good. There will be a lot of swelling in your cheeks and bruising. This lasted about a week. Good Luck and Congrats on your upcoming wedding.
    goldilocks70

Answer by goldilocks70 at 2:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• No clue. Never had mine removed and don't plan on letting the dentist remove them until they cause problems.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:35 AM on Mar. 20, 2010