how bad is it to get your wisdom teeth pulled?

OMG I am in so much pain b/c my wisdom tooth just decided now 3 weeks before my wedding to come through! My gum is so swollen & sore. I just want to know what to expect. I can handle pain, I have a pretty high tolerance for it. But I am a major baby when it comes to the dentist! I know I need all 4 pulled, but only the 1 is bothering me right now. Its been a year since the 1st one showed up...and I know I should have went then but I am so scared of the dentist! However I do take my kids every 6 months on the dot b/c I dont want them to have teeth like mine.....I know I have a few cavities that need to be filled too, they never have & still havent bothered me, but while I am there might as well do it all! B/c I wont want to go back!

TAY-NATESMOM

Asked by TAY-NATESMOM at 10:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Health

• I had all 4 pulled at the same time.

it wasn't really too bad, it was a relief to have it done.

the healing was annoying, but not having PAIN from teeth was even better. totally worth it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• its not that bad right after it is done, but about a day later the pain and swelling starts to kick in. I had pain and swelling to where I needed to take meds for, for about 3 days. You can eat any hard foods for awhile and you cant drink out of straws.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 10:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• can not, not can
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• My friend had 4 wisdom teeth removed. Her recovery was a very painful 2 wks. Alot of things can determine what happens... Your age. Older you are the worse it can be. Its best to get them removed @ 18. If teeth are impacted (dentist can tell u this) can make for a bad recovery... Your body type, petite ladies can have smaller jaws & may have harder recoveries. The CHANCE of getting "Dry Socket" afterwards. Dry Socket takes about 1mo to recover from (DH had it once.)

IMO Id never get all 4 done.. Only 1 side of mouth at a time!! With your wedding so close, I would visit your dentist (ONLY go to a dentist that you have been refered too! Lots of cruddy dentist out there!) and talk to him about it all. and see what he thinks your recovery time is... let him know your wedding is soon..

Good luck! Hope your teeth doesnt effect your wedding day in any way! :)
    congrats!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:09 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• FYI, i had all four plus another one removed at one time.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 12:52 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• i think it is different for everyone. i heard of people being down for a week or so.. i had all four of mine taken out in one day. the next day i took my daughter to a fair. i was in a little pain but not crippling. i had no swelling. and i think the worst part was the medication. i dont even like to take tylenol so when i took some of the pain medication at night it made me sick. unfortunatly i doubt they will do the wisdom teeth and the cavities 1 visit! but good luck and hope u heal fast!
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 1:06 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• It's not always necessary to have wisdom teeth pulled. On the other hand, yours sound impacted. I've had wisdom teeth pulled and experienced very little swelling or pain. Generally if there is a lot of swelling afterwards, chances are you've developed an infection and require antibiotics. It's better to nip cavities in bud during their earliest stage. Prolonging it, just makes the cavity worse and the dentist bill higher. He'll start saying words like "root canals, deep cleaning, bridges, etc." I'm more afraid of the bill than the dentist. To prevent this from happening in the future, visit your dentist at least once a year (preferably once every six months) and spare yourself unnecessary grief. Better safe, than sorry.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 3:14 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I didn't have a bad experience at all! but none of mine were impacted really...I enjoyed the nitrous and the anesthesia hehe woke up looking like a flipping chipmunk but honestly, I'd do it again if I had to, it was much less painful than MANY other things! it was QUITE the relief
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 9:42 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• As a former Dental Assistant here is my 'professional' advice--- Go to your dentist and let him examine your wisdom tooth and take an xray- and then he can tell you more about the tooth. Some dentists do extractions-- others will refer you to an oral surgeon. If you have other work to be done it would be a good idea to see a dentist and have an exam and a full mouth set of xrays-- then your dentist can tell you what needs to be done and set up a treatment plan. Usually when you go in for 1 thing-- like a pain visit to have a tooth examined and possibly extracted--- they will focus only on that 1 thing--- they will NOT do everything (pull that tooth, fill all the cavities) at that 1 visit-- you would need to come back for additional visits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I had mine done at an oral surgeon when I was 16 or 17. I had all 4 done at once and it was pretty painless. I would reccomend seeing an oral surgeon, if your insurance covers it. I was nervous because I got them pulled a few days before Christmas but I was fine in time for Christmas dinner. I was actually fine the day after I got them pulled. Good luck and congratulations on your wedding!
    Anonymous