What yogurt is healthy?

My kids like yogurt. I quit buying the kids' kind with colors and sugar, and lately I get activia for them.

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 10:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Health

• Stonyfield Farms yogurt is my DS favorite plus it's organic it's pretty much the only one we buy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• i don't know what's actually the healthiest but i read recently that "light" yogurts are worse for you if they contain aspartame (also found in diet sodas). it's an artificial sweetener that can have many adverse effects. so stick to the real stuff!

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/dangers.htm
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• One made with real food. Some of them have chemical thickeners, dyes, chemical sweeteners, and really weird stuff.

Organic dairy is important because the antibiotics, hormones, and pesticides that the cow consumes are excreted through the milk. A yogurt with live an active cultures is best. When you pick up the container and look at the ingredients, they should all be regular food words that you know. No chemicals.

We buy plain, unflavored organic yogurt. A family friend makes this awesome homegrown raspberry jam and I put a swirl of jam in the plain yogurt. That way I control how sweet it is.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:27 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Read the ingredients: the milk should be rbgh free, or organic; it should have live cultures; it should not have gelatin or high fructose corn syrup.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:04 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I agree, organic and chemically free.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:39 AM on Mar. 20, 2010