What does everyone think about trying to concieve at 17/18?

My boyfriend and I have been together for two years now, were very much ready for children. We've already suffered a miscarriage, and are back on feet and ready for another child. We have money planned out, housing and everything:) I was just curious what everyones thoughts are? Keep an open mind, and remember.. You don't know me as a person.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Why not get out and live life before being held down by children?
    Anonymous

• To be honest I would say it is probably better to wait and go to college. The money and housing may be all worked out for now, but things change and having a college degree helps. Don't you want to give your kids the best advantages in life? I am sure you do. Here is a site discussing how much a college education is worth.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/moneymatters/a/edandearnings.htm

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Because it's not "living life" to me, partying and such. I don't drink, let alone do anything of that sort. I'm way to mature for my age! haha, but after having a miscarriage, my whole life standards have changed. I don't see having children as being held down, I see it as a blessing, I don't know if it's just because I've wanted children my whole life, and than had one taken away.. I just firmly believe my boyfriend and I are ready:)
    simplyelegance

Answer by simplyelegance at 11:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Thanks for the site:) I will check it out,
    We have college figured out, and my boyfriend works an amazing job, as do I. I work at a pharmacy, and he works with cars.. We both make as much as someone who has gone through college makes, and were doing college at seperate times in order to deal with the money and the baby.
    simplyelegance

Answer by simplyelegance at 11:07 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• i think you're crazy. enjoy being young for a couple more years. i thought i was ready at 16, i was engaged, about to be married and wanted to have a kid and settle down asap. thankfully i realized the guy was a jerk and it didn't work out. i ended up settling down at 20, had a child, and when i did, i looked back and i realized there was no way i was ready at the time. i'm glad i didn't settle down so early and got to enjoy a few more years. whenever someone i know gets married i always strongly urge them to not to have a child right away, to enjoy the married life while you can, cuz having a kid, although it's a joy, it's very stressful and can put stress on you marriage, with sleep deprivation, your sex life can change in a heartbeat, which can affect your SO/DH more than you. there's no way of knowing how much you'll change when you get pregnant. in the end it's your choice but think about this before you make it. GL
    Anonymous

• Go to college first. Seriously. It's so hard to get school done with kids. And trust me, in this economy, the job market is crap and people are still getting laid off left and right. It's just better to wait right now.

By the way, do you have health insurance? Because that's one of the things that many younger people don't add into their finances.
    Anonymous

• Personally I would advise against it. For me the years between 18 and 24 were such a journey of personal discovery. I had a lot fun I wouldn't have been able to have if I was a mom, and I learned a lot both in college and in work field. There were so many demands on my time as I discovered and pursued my career I think if I had a kid I never would have been able to do it. In fact scratch that I know I couldn't have done it if I had a kid because my sister, who was always the more mature and responsible one of the two of us, did have a kid at 19 and she had it a lot harder and has accomplished less career wise , which greatly effects her ability to provide for her children. So I say wait build life experience it will make you a richer (I don't mean jsut money, but also emotionally) parent. Gl whatever you decide.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 11:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I personally think that you will regret not being able to enjoy that ability to not being tied down. I know it seems simple now because you are 17? and you can't go to clubs, you can't drink legally etc. So it's like... well I can't do that now, so have a kid wouldn't change my life. BUT... once you do turn of age to go out and to drink you will have a child that you can not just pick up and leave every time you want a girls night out. I can't tell you when you are ready... but I know I still wasn't ready when I had my son. I was scared and exhausted. I had already had the chances to "party hardy" yet there were many times I craved it. And I can imagine that being exacerbated being as young as you are and not having yet experienced it.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I was gonna say- go live a little and get educated first- but since you have that all fiured out and whatnot then I guess why not
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I say what's the rush? I wasn't a party girl either. I am still glad I waited to have kids though. I enjoyed spending time with DH, just he and I. I went to college and we traveled together for a few years before even getting married. I am so glad I had that time to do those things. Kids are great. They do take up your life though. :) IMO trying at age 17 is too young. You have PLENTY of years ahead of you to raise children.

Anonymous