how can i help my son lose weight?

my 9 yr old son weighs more than my 12 yr old and knows it. he is very self-concious about it. it breaks my heart every time that he tells me that someone made fun of him. help

CaitiPerry

Asked by CaitiPerry at 11:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I was really chubby as a kid -- what helped me was my mom would have "family walks" or just me and her ...in the evening after supper we would walk around town ( small country town) .... that way it isnt as bad as like...making him get on a tredmill and it would be more fun.....

you could also get smaller dinner plates that way he is actually eating less, but not really noticing..
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• you and your spouse are the ones determining what is bought and put in the shelves and fridge in your home, so when you go to the store make healthy choices for ALL your family. The worst thing you could do is single him out and have him only eat the healthy stuff. Find new recipies and fun ways to incorperate foods into low calorie meals that are packed with vitamins, fruits, veggies etc.
    Family walks, like gamomomo said, are a great idea to get you guys up and moving!
    Anonymous

• I think the biggest hurdle is our idea of what good food is. It isn't easy to change your cravings or what you feel like eating. Right now, I am trying to teach my daughter that snacks/treats involve fruits and veggies. Not crackers, bread products, or sweets. It isn't easy but it is getting better. Baby carrots, nap peas, blueberries and yogurt with pecans make a good snacks. Sometimes we have bananas with a little chocolate sauce (or Nutella). I had to stop buying cookies, crackers, and cereal. These items turned into things to munch on. We also quit drinking soda when she was old enough to get it herself. We made juice a special treat to encourage her to drink water.

Honestly, making little changes to our diet has been tricky. But I think it has the highest pay off! Good luck!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• my sister was overweight as a child and teased throughout elementary school. She was very active but was gaining weight. She went on a version of the diabetic diet (given to her by a nutritionist). it focused on portion sizes and good choices (such as a meal vs a soda). Remember no skipping meals and no cutting out anything completely. She was able to eat a lot of food (remember to include salads) and not be hungry but she lost a couple pounds a week in a healthy way. I don't have a copy of the diet any more but I would suggest seeking the advice of a doctor/nutritionist to help and then make choices the whole family can enjoy.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Healthy diet, family hikes, bike rides, walks. You need to durastically change his diet.
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Not only can you help him lose weight but help your family get more healthy.
    - Get the bad stuff out of the house, he cant eat if its not there! Replace it with healthy snacks. fruits & veggies. Make fruit salads & premix veggies so there isnt so much prep work for the kids. You could even do this as a family once a week when u grocery shop.
    -More food AT home. Dinners from scratch. Again, if its hard get the kids involved. teach them how to cook. If you can teach them 3 simple meals. They can even take over making dinner occasionally.
    -FAMILY activities. Go for long walks. join a gym together (say u want to lose the weight, get fit). Family sports in the back yard.
    - LESS TV/Video game time.. Limit their time & maybe they will be more into going outside & playing basketball together.
    -Cut out soda's.. water/ no fat or low fat milk/ tea are better.
    Good Luck!! Your son is lucky to have mom who cares!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Oh also. does you son eat breakfast? Try to get the family to start eating a good breakfast every morning... By eating a full breakfast in the morning its been shown you eat less through out the day. People who eat no or small breakfast in the morning eat bigger dinners at night..
    Alot of calories in the morning
    Medium calories around lunch
    Small Dinner at night..
    (most people go the opposite way & its NOT good for us!)

Teach your son how to eat 3 meals a day PLUS smalls snacks through out the day. I know this may be very hard since he is in school & you can snack during the day...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I agree with all of the above. It's important to involve the whole family in a healthy eating overhaul & family activity plan. Don't single your son out, do it as a family & do it gradually. Even if he doesn't lose weight right away, he'll grow into his present weight as he learns to adopt better food choices & increase his activity. The best thing to remember is not to keep poor food choices in the house that contribute to his excess weight & it won't be available as a temptation. Be deliberate in planning special treats so he's not totally denied, but don't make them a regular staple in your kitchen. If he wants to play video games or watch TV, let him earn time equivalent to the time he spent in some kind of physical activity. We went through the very same thing with our son & he grew into his weight & is a tall, very lean, muscular 18 yr old now. Best wishes to you!

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• There are many great ideas above.

I can simplify the message:

Don’t buy junk food
    Take family walks before or after dinner; take family bike rides on the weekends
    Make sure that everyone is drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day; no juice or milk or soda (not even diet)
    Everyone should eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors
    Replace simple/white grains with whole grains
    Add legumes to your diet
    Cut way back on meat and dairy

Answer by rkoloms at 6:53 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Cooking with whole grains and beans or lentils for a few meals a night instead of meats will make a big difference too. We love making bean soup with low fat crackers or corn bread, homemade soups (make sure to use no salt added broth), beans and rice (cook dried beans from scratch with various seasonings, and serve over brown rice. Brown rice sushi is another good option because you can make it with just veggies like carrots, cucumber, and avocado, or you can add a little bit of crab meat or cooked shrimp into it.

We have limited our sodium and we see a difference already. You should buy frozen veggies instead of canned. They only take about 2 more minutes to prepare and have no added salt plus their nutrition content is better than canned. Don't buy convenience foods like Hamburger Helper or anythign like that. Make your own at home with lean ground bison or lean ground turkey.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2010