coloring your hair while pregnant

My hair looks terrible. Normally I dye my hair, but I haven't colored it since September and now it looks so bad because my roots have grown in a lot in 6 months. Does anyone know of any hair dyes that are ok to use while pregnant?
I know they have some that are ammonia-free. I usually use the do-it-yourself home kits but they stink and they sting the skin and I don't want to do that while I'm pregnant but I'm dying to fix this hair color it looks atrocious!
Does anyone have any suggestions?

walkintherain

Asked by walkintherain at 11:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes! I just got mine done. Some people will tell you not to do it but if you research it you will find that very little of the chemicals actually enter your skin.
    Anonymous

• I still dyed my hair once or twice while pregnant. I don't think it's really that harmful.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• It's actually okay to have your hair colored after the first trimester. They just say beware that from all the hormones your hair may pull the color differently than it usually did.
    nellyb118

Answer by nellyb118 at 11:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I don't know if she was just doing her job, but last time I was pregnant I got my hair done by a friend of a friend. She uses Aveda and told me it had less harmful chemicals and more natural. I've heard that after the 1st trimester it's okay. Maybe try to look for a beauty college in your town and go get it done. Getting your hair done might make you feel better...just make sure to tell them you have use box color in the past.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• i colored mine, there isnt any proff it harms the baby mostly the smell gets to you.
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 12:23 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Beware of color + hormones! I get foils since they don't touch the skin and are very safe. I looked like someone poured rotten pumpkin over my head. I had some moron at a beauty college do it. She had no experience with pregnant hair.

Find some cool chick with kids who can get you handled. An at home box could wack out on you and you have no back up plan. If the color turns evil at the salon, the hair dresser can rescue it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:54 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I colored my hair with my first DD & I've just colored it last week & I'm 23 wks in with my second. Both of my OBGYNS said it's perfectly fine. I opted for the "amonia free" dye last week because smells have really bothered me this pregnancy not because I felt it was more safe.
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 12:58 AM on Mar. 20, 2010