Okay Moms, I really need your help! Got a 3 1/2 yr old DD...

Got a 3 1/2 yr old DD that refuses to be potty trained. I've asked this before, yet I always seem to get anwers like.."I'm having the same problem." or "IDK what to tell you." I'm not trying to be ugly, rude, or seem unthankful for the responses, but please reply if you have some advice!

My DD refuses to tell me when she has to go potty! She usually only goes when I ask her if she has to or if I tell her to go! So, that being said, if I don't do either of the mentioned..she pees herself. Now, she knows when she does, b/c she'll say she's wet.

With the pooping thing...WOW! A whole other ballgame! She won't even tell me when she has to go! NOR when she tell me when she's sitting in it!! It is soooooo frustrating! She will be 4 in June, and I'm afraid she won't be able to start Pre K if she isn't completely potty trained!

I'm home with her all day...WHAT CAN I DO TO GET THIS CHILD POTTY TRAINED!! AND SOOON! Thanks!

Kaydens_mommy06

Asked by Kaydens_mommy06 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (-8 Credits)
  • Is she wearing underwear or pullups when she pees herself?
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:05 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• panties.. shes in them all day!
    Kaydens_mommy06

Answer by Kaydens_mommy06 at 1:06 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• HMM. That's a tough one. My DD finally started using the potty when I did just underwear. She hated peeing herself. I also implemented a reward system with her. I gave her one M&M every time she used the potty, which she really enjoyed. During training I would make her sit on the potty at various points of the day. I didn't wait for her to tell me at first. I gave LOTS of praise when she did go. We even have a special Dora potty seat she uses.

She's been trained a while, but if there are times she does pee herself, I make her go upstairs and change her clothes by herself. There are times she will just pee for she didn't feel like using the bathroom. I don't yell, but she knows how upset I am. I always tell her she's a big gir and KNOWS how to use the potty., I still give high fives when she does use the potty. I stopped giving the MMs over the summer.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:18 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Sometimes a child that age gets so busy playing that they forget that they have to go until it's too late. Just keep up asking her if she has to go and it will come naturally, usually by age 4. Usually, miraculously, just before they start Pre K they get the hang of it. There are some kids in Pre K that are not FULLY potty trained. Just tell the teacher that she needs to ask her if she has to go. Have you tried getting her really pretty panties and telling her not to get her pretty panties wet or soiled? You didn't mention how long you have been trying to potty train her. The also sell a potty book that you can read with her. My grandson would run up to me and say, "Grandma, I have to go potty." I would say, "Well, go" He wouldn't go unless I told him to.
    Carol318

Answer by Carol318 at 1:32 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• i got a cute little watch for my son that has the hour beeper on it. every hour it would beep and catch the kids attention. my son would come to me and show me and i would have him go sit on the pot for 5 to 10 mnutes. after awhile he got the hang of it and started to go every hour on his own. buy a cute watch that is waterproof. walmart has them for 5 or 10 dollars.
    mrscoty

Answer by mrscoty at 6:00 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Bribery...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Kairismama- I have been trying for over a year! I started right before she turned 3. I know I probably started late..but she had other issues going when she was 2. I've started stickers..I bought some M&Ms the other day. I thought about saving those for when she poops in the potty. My SO (who isn't her father, and has no kids of his own) told me whatever I'm doing must be wrong. Yes, it made me VERY UPSET to hear him say this, but I let it roll off my back. Let's not bash him..let's just help me. LOL!

Thanks for the replies ladies, and if you have any other ideas, feel free to share!
    Kaydens_mommy06

Answer by Kaydens_mommy06 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• One M&M for peeing, 2 M&M's for pooping...a sticker for trying....
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:20 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My DD wanted some princess underwear and i told her she has to use the potty first and if she shows me that she can she can get them. We also gave her a penny or some thing like that to put in her piggy bank every time she would use the potty
    before we knew it. she was peeing on the potty before pooping. it took a lil bit to go poop on it. she was 1 years old peeing on the potty and 2 when she would poop on it.
    Mommy0f22009

Answer by Mommy0f22009 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My older daughter was like that. She was allowed to start 3 year old pre-K in Pull-Ups. I thought she would be embarrassed when she saw the other kids and that would encourage her to just do it already! That was not the case. She actually came home bragging about how she was the only one who still got to wear Pull Ups! I really was at a loss. Then, one day when she was talking about her birthday and what she was going to do when she was 4, out of complete desperation I told her this: "As long as you don't use the potty, you will not have a birthday and you will not be 4. You cannot be 4 unless you use the potty all the time." I thought I had tried everything at this point, but for some reason this was the thing that did the trick; she was completely trained almost immediately (she really wanted a birthday party). If your daughter really looks forward to school in the fall maybe you could use that. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2010