Autism

does your autistic kid takes med

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I have a friend that has a autistic son and I know that he takes meds
    Anonymous

• I have never heard to kids with autism taking meds unless they also have ADHD
    Carol318

Answer by Carol318 at 1:36 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• My 12 year old has autism, no meds but TONS of kids with autism take them - all kinds. I have lots of friends with kids with autism and most of them are on at least one medication or another.

Answer by missanc at 11:24 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Yes, my son does take meds--- but it is NOT because of his having Autism...... it is for something else entirely.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:37 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• There are no meds that treat the autism itself, but many children take meds to treat the symptoms of autism. Anxiety, aggression, ADHD, insomnia, FTT, OCD, etc. Children who exhibit extremes of behaviors that fall into a treatable category, such as anxiety or aggression, are often given medications to try to control or limit those behaviors. Others prefer to use alternative therapies, such as diet changes, ABA, etc. and all are legitimate therapeutic approaches to treatment, so don't let anyone tell you that whatever you are doing or want to try is a wrong approach to treatment. Only you know what is right for your kid & your lifestyle.

Now, for my own kid, yes, he takes medication, specifically for his extreme anxiety that may or may not be directly related to his having autism. Without the anti-anxiety medication, he cannot get through his day, but with it, he's a different kid and a happier one, too.
    Anonymous

• Nope, at least not for autism. Both my sons and I have autism but none of us take meds for it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:07 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I will not allow my kid to take meds for his Autism. He is 4, and at age 3 his developmental pediatrician wanted to put him on Risperdal for his aggressive behaviour and Clonidine for his other dx of Tourette Syndrome. That's WAY too much drugging for
    a small child.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2010