im so scared to let anyone watch my son? hes my first, whats the best way to help me with this? Is this normal?

babygoins09

Asked by babygoins09 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its completely normal! I'm going through the same thing now. I am totally fine with people on my side of the family watching my son (also my first) but I literally have panic attacks just thinking about my fiance's family watching him. My MIL is okay, but my FIL and BILS are complete morons and I actually would fear for my son's safety in their care because they aren't the type of people that would watch him closely enough and would probably do things that aren't age appropriate with him...ugh I could go on for days. But anyways...as a mom, you are probably feeling that no one else can do as good a job at taking care of your baby as you...and for the most part, you are right! Momma's are always the best at taking care of their babies. You'll get over it a little bit at a time. Don't feel pressured to leave your baby with someone if you don't want to!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Totally normal....you either get over it or never have alone time till he's 18
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I agree- very normal. I joked with my hubby that we might be "helicopter parents" and he said helicopters were too far away. :)

As you gain confidence as a parent, you'll learn that it is okay to leave him with a babysitter sometimes. And trust me-- you'll need that adult sanity time, whether it's time alone or time with your partner. Stick with someone you trust, and slowly build trust with others that might be able to watch him.

We were in the same boat as you-- so far we've only allowed family to babysit when necessary. We started by asking my MIL to watch him while hubby and I did chores around the house, then we went to the movies, and now we've gone to a play (we already had tickets). I know my family loves him as much as I do, and they would lay down their lives for him. But even then it took me a couple times of hovering!

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Normal!! I wouldnt let Dh take Ds anywhere alone until he was about 7-8 months. I know that that his father but i didnt care lol. He was my baby, MINE and no one could take him withoutme around. It'll pass mommy. Good luck
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• My son is a year and half and has only been left a handful of times and half of those were while he was sleeping. Totally normal.
    Anonymous

• its hard cuz i have issues wit other ppl in his family(im ok wit my MIL) so i dont know if dey will respect i dont want my son around dem.....and with my mom and sister i kno dey love dem but my thinks she know everything and thinks shes the mom and with my sister she only 15 she thinks she know but she has kno nuturing skills ....bottomline i feel like if u wana watch my child either u do it my way or no way...my husband feels the sme way!
    babygoins09

Answer by babygoins09 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I suppose it is normal. Do you have family you trust with your son, or is it that you don't trust hiring a sitter? I just never had issues with my family taking my DD at ANY age. I WANT family to bond and be close. If your issue is just getting a sitter in general I understand.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• No my issue is that i believe kno one will take care of him like I WILL!
    babygoins09

Answer by babygoins09 at 12:18 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• It's completely normal. I am the abnormal one. My first was spending the night at his grandma's house at 5 months.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:27 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Its normal. I went back to work when my son was a few days shy of 6 months old and I was way more of a mess than he was the first week. He actually adjusted to it much better than I had thought because he is so attached to me and I have been home with him since birth till recently. I took it harder haha.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 12:28 AM on Mar. 20, 2010