Do you sleep in your contacts?

I do this all the time, I only take them out maybe once a week, wear my glasses for a couple days then pop them right back in. I wear the Acuvue with hydroclear 2 week disposables, but usually keep each pair for a month or so...I know this must be awful for my eyes, but it is just an awful habit!! :/ Anyone else in the same boat? My Mom does the same thing, and actually got a really bad eye infection and her eye dr. restricted her from contacts for like a year...

nkkk07

Asked by nkkk07 at 11:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Health

• I don't do it, But SO does it all the time, but he will wear his for 2 or 3 months at a time. His are also the 2 week ones. He has never gotten an eye infection, but I always tell him I am afraid that he will.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I have 30 day contacs...I wear them longer... :( Bad, I know.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:05 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I have the Day/Night contacts that you are supposed to change every month. But I am guilty of leaving them in for 2, 3, 4 months at a time. I completely forget that they are in. My eyes are so bad though that the only time I can take them out is to put a new pair in. I literally can't see a foot in front of my face. I do have glasses but they give me a horrible headache. So probably within the past year, my eyes have had maybe 10 minutes worth of contact free time. I'm surprised my prescription stayed the same.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:14 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I take mine out every night and sometimes during the day if they are giving me a headache. If I wear them to bed it will trigger a two day long migraine. Sooo not worth it. I was just at the eye doctor and she said everyone should take them out every night because the cornea needs to breath. She said that ideally you should only wear them 10 or so hours and then put on glasses.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:20 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Sometimes I fall asleep with them in on accident or when I take a short nap. I've really gotten away from wearing them unless I'm doing yard work or working out-- something where glasses are in the way.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:21 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• ash9724...you do the same thing as i do..i leave them in for months at a time...an i can't take them out unless it's to put a new pair or i can't see...right now i'm wearing old glasses with old perscriptions is there anyplace where i can go to get a cheap new perscription??? an anyplace where i can go to get new contacts
    diana2630

Answer by diana2630 at 12:33 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Ugh, no way. They prevent your eyes from breathing properly. I fell asleep with them in a few times and my poor eyes were extremely sore when I woke up. No way I'll ever do that again!
    xtwistedxlovex

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 3:05 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Sadly,I`am a Habitual lens wearer.Only take out when the eyes feel like sandpaper.Bad habit I know... :(
    valtoppen

Answer by valtoppen at 3:25 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Me too!! I was actually scared to read the reponses. I try to change mine out every 3 weeks or so. My dd broke my glasses 2 years ago and havent replaced them.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 5:58 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I have the kind that you can sleep in for up to a week... I knew I would sleep in them no matter what I got so I figured that I might as well get the kind made for it
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 6:14 AM on Mar. 20, 2010