If God wants us to follow him freely and by choice, why put the threat of hell out there at all?

Not much of choice if you ask me...

When you give someone the freedom to choose for themselves, it should be their choice without threat of punishment just because they don't choose YOUR path...

This loving and kind god seems rather unjust and cruel to claim to give people free will, claim to want their love simply because they Choose to love him and then punish them if they choose any other path which makes them happier...

How is that really a choice at all?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Who said He wants us to follow Him freely and by choice?
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 12:01 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• it is a choice not a threat. You need to re-evaluate the way you look at it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Do you tell your kids if you don't love me you will be punished? Seems to me that's what God is doing... Pretty arrogant for an absent father!

A real father or loving God would want you to love you and be happy in life. He may not like that you don't love him, but he wouldn't hold the treat of eternal torment over your head either!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• It isn't
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Yeah, like I posted in the post on HELL, it doesn't exist as they teach.... they used a concept from that is the product of the minds of medieval artists who were influenced by representations of the mythological Greek god Pan and by the Inferno written by the Italian poet Dante Alighieri. Instead of teaching a fiery hell, the Bible clearly says that “the dead . . . are conscious of nothing at all.”—Eccl. 9:5.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 12:08 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Do you tell your kids if you don't love me you will be punished?

I don't use the huge scenario as you are talking but then God is much bigger than me or you. I also don't look at hell in this sense. It is a choice not an ultimatum

In a smaller down scale, I tell my children if they don't respect me I would punish them. I they called me a myth or a fairy tale and said I didn't exst believe you me they would get a little punishment for the words they used on their own free will.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• In a smaller down scale, I tell my children if they don't respect me I would punish them. I they called me a myth or a fairy tale and said I didn't exst believe you me they would get a little punishment for the words they used on their own free will.

So a child who refuses to acknowledge a deadbeat dad should be punished??? God is less present in most people lives that some drug addict dad... Why should he get any more respect.

And just for argument sake, I hope my children would have enough respect for me to leave me out of their lives if I EVER gave them such an ultimatum... If I don't EARN the respect, I don't deserve it! The same goes for God...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• "When you give someone the freedom to choose for themselves, it should be their choice without threat of punishment just because they don't choose YOUR path"

Your children have their own god given free will. They can choose to do what they want to do. You as a parent are responsible for setting boundaries and using appropriate punishments to help them learn what is right. God works the same way. He is our parent, we are his children. If we do not chose to live the right way, we have to face the consequences for our actions. Same goes if you drive drunk. You are free to make the decision to do that, but if you make that decision you must face the consequences of the law.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• So a child who refuses to acknowledge a deadbeat dad should be punished??? God is less present in most people lives that some drug addict dad... Why should he get any more respect.

Could you please read this again and see the I said "ME" not a dead beat dad? mmm KAY

however, on a bigger scale if my child EVER called any HUMAN BEING (and yes this does include a dead beat dad) a myth, not real or fake there will be consequences. I do not allow my children to be rude to anyone

and sorry dear, God is present in your life every single minute of every single day. You just might not accept it :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I hope my children would have enough respect for me to leave me out of their lives if I EVER gave them such an ultimatum... If I don't EARN the respect, I don't deserve it! The same goes for God..
    ----

you want your children to have enough respect for you to leave them out of your life (hope for respect) because you didn't earn respec(no respect) so you don't deserve respect(your first words were you want them to have respect)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Mar. 20, 2010