How often do you change your child's diaper?

I am always checking my son, if he has the smallest bit in his diaper I change him that very minute. And as for #2 I change them the moment I know he is done for sure.
But my best friend, whom I love dearly has a son and she lets him wear his diapers for so long, I mean long enough that they sag down and leak through his clothes, he even soaked my whole couch the last time they came over. And I have seen her let him wear #2 for at least 45 minutes before. I mean I just don't understand. He keeps horrible diaper rash and she acts like she doesn't know why he has it.
Other than this she is an overall really good mom to him, he is very well fed, lives in a nice home, has really good things, she pays so much attention to him, plays with him, and loves him. But to me the diaper issue is a BIG problem but I know it isn't really my place to say anything about it....What would you do? Would you say something? Or "Mind your own."?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Mar. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• when itcomes to pee i give it about 2-3 times #2 immediatly idk my kidsdiapers havereached their knees before. mention it lightlyor change hiyourself if you see it
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:14 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• As often as he needs it! I'm not as anal about checking but if I smell something or if it's sagging or if I realize it's been a couple hours I change him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I would just mention it when you notice. Just say "oh I think he needs changed" and if you notice she isn't doing it right away offer to do it yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• When he went 2..immediately. PU!! When he peed...probably when I could tell without feeling it. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:17 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I always change poopy diapers right away. As for pee, probably about every 2-3 hours. Never had a leaking problem with pee...even when my son sleeps through the night and doesn't have a diaper change for like 8 hours...still no leaks. Either he doesn't pee a whole lot or we just use really good diapers haha. You must spend a lot of money on diapers if you change them every time your baby pees just once.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• i let it go for 2 to 3 times or until it starts to sag with #1 with #2 almost immediatly if i know she is going or when i smell it. diapers are way too expensive to change with just 1 pee in it.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:19 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I change him when he stinks for it the diaper looks full. Diapers are expensive! I don't do it once an hour. My son doesn't leak through ever or get a rash.

I would say something, especially if it's endangering your couch. Next time the kid is over ask her if his diaper has been changed and joke about having a wet couch. Or maybe change the diaper yourself and talk to her about the rash. What's this from? How long has it been there? Is it the diapers you use? Maybe if you tried to swap the diapers out more often the rash would go away? Does it make hime crabby? Things to make the wheels start turning.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:19 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I thought I was one in the few that left the diaper on for a pee or two...but poopy is another story that comes off as soon as it happens!
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I cloth diaper so I change immediately with both #1 and #2. I would ask ur friend how u asked us. how often do you change ur kid. j/w cuz i change mine this much.... ya know. and if she doesnt get the hint, say oh i think he needs changed and if that dont work offer to do it urself or tell her flat out its nasty and she needs to be a mom and change her kids diaper!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• when i can feel that the diaper has gotten mushy but not leaky for one and as soon as i noticed hes pooped which is usually right away because he comes and tells me... potty training please hurry up!!! lol (thats for my 2 year old) and as for my 8 month old I do the same and Ive never had any rash problems with either of them. as for u telling her- I cant really think of a way without u offending her- but maybe next time she is over and complaining about her childs rash say something like- well how many times do u change him? because when I had that problem I noticed that when i started changing him as soon as he went the rash would go away! and if she still doesn't get it- embarrass her the next time it leaks on ur couch- say u know, u really should start changing him before it gets that bad! and maybe shell be more conscious of it

lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2010