Is it illegal to do this?

would it be illegal to rent a movie (new moon) copy it to my computer and make a dvd for my personal use. is it illegal even if I don't sell it?

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 12:24 AM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Entertainment

• Yes it is illegal, but people do it anyway. If I had the software I would do it. LOL My SIL's BF does that with EVERY movie he rents.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Technically, yes it would be illegal because you aren't paying for the movie. You are just paying to rent it, not for the purchase. But honestly, there is no way anyone would ever find out. I've done it a million times and know several people that do it too. Its like the same thing as downloading songs on the internet I think.
    Anonymous

• The warning message don't say anything about being fines or not being able to make a copy for yourself, it only warns about making copies and selling them.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:32 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• The warnings do say about making copies with or with out monetary gain.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 12:33 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• As long as you are not sharing it with others, you should be fine. Meaning the authorities are looking for distributors of pirated copies, not really the average joe copying a movie or two.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:34 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• The laws have indeed changed. You can not make copies even for yourself.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:48 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• call a copyright attorney and ask
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Yes you cant copy it at all legally. But I dont think theres anyway for them to find out.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 1:59 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Trade groups representing movie, game and music publishers announced on February, 19th, 2004 that all new CDs, DVDs and games sold in the United States will feature a new FBI warning label warning about serious consequences that unauthorized copying might cause to the person violating copyright laws.

The label will replace the old variety of labels already shown in most of the media products and will also be significantly more visible on the product cover. The new warning says:

"All Right Reserved. The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work is illegal. Criminal copyright infringement, including infringement without monetary gain, may be investigated by the FBI and is punishable by up to five years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000."

IT IS ILLEGAL
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 2:00 AM on Mar. 20, 2010