6 week not pooping, only once yesterday since monday the 23rd. any suggestion??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your baby is breast fed is is normal for them to go as little as once every 7-12 days. Formula fed babies should go every day. Breast fed babies are not constipated if they are not acting like they are in pain. (Grunting, gassy, crying, no poopy.)
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 5:48 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• MY SON IS FORMULA FED AND HIS PEDIATRITION TOLD ME IT WAS NORMAL FOR HIM NOT TO POOP FOR A WEEK. SHE SAID IF THAT HAPPENS DONT WORRY BUT IF HE POOPS EVERYDAY, THATS FINE TOO. MY SON HAD "LETTING GO" PROBLEMS WHERE WHEN HE DID HAVE TO POOP HE HOLLERED AND SCREAMED FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES BECAUSE HE DIDNT "KNOW HOW" TO POOP, SO WE GOT ALOT OF INFORMATION ON BABY POOPING SKILLS IF THATS WHAT I SHOULD CALL IT.
    iwuvmibaby

Answer by iwuvmibaby at 6:04 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Newborns just can't get regular it seems! Mine son would go 9-12 days. He was colicky, so I was convinced something was wrong! We had two sets of stomach x-rays and nothing! As soon as we started solids at 4 months, he has pooped just fine! Well, rice cereal constipates him, so we use oatmeal and mixed grain. Other than that--he is very regular.
    IlovemylilChase

Answer by IlovemylilChase at 9:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• It's normal for some babies to poop every day... but a lot of babies poop once every few days. My son would poop every 3rd day. Don't worry about it unless he's straining like he's constipated.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• are you breastfeeding or no? try if your breast feeding eating papaya
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 4:44 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I have twins that had constipation problems. A sure way to get them to poop is to stimulate the rectum with a sliver of soap. I know, it sounds gross, but it works. Slide the sliver (wet) inside,make sure you don't let go,move it around a bit, take out the sliver and out it comes. Make sure you have paper towels under them though.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 12:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Had the same problem with my daughter. Called one of the RNs from the hospital where I had her, as long and the baby is not showing any signs of distress they are fine. Your baby could be have a growth spurt and basically using everything he/she is eating. But if you think there my be a problem call your ped.
    bearfaye

Answer by bearfaye at 4:28 AM on Jun. 28, 2008