Anyone else a LandLord?

I hate that title so I should say property owner? Anyway, I own an apartment building and my tenants are moving. I was curious if there are other owners here dealing with the same issues.

lich663

Asked by lich663 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• first i have to say im just a tenant ( for now looking for a house next yr )and i was in my last apt for 4 yrs..moved due to space and kids.. this place been here almost 4 yrs and have to say always when i move out i leave it spotless i clean everything and have even repainted the same color but makes it look fresh..last place i lived the property pwner sent me a note to my new add just to say thank u. anyways i have a friend who owns least 8 properties apts and houses. and he always says never rent to friends and do a walk threw before tenant moves in and when tenant is gonna be moving out.. note everything that is wrong with the place and give person a time limit to fix... hes a good man and has felt the stress of an empty apt/home. best of luck to u and hope it ends well for u. and clean....:)
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 1:42 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• If you are blessed enough to own an apartment building I would say they are people out there with much worse problems than yours
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I help my folks with their properties. They have only once rented to someone who did not break the lease agreement in some way. And that includes their commercial properties. If your tenants leave the residence in livable condition without animal waste or garbage everywhere, you're doing well.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:39 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

ok...I'm actually speechless
    lich663

Answer by lich663 at 12:42 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I just own a house that we rent out, and I had some people abandon not too long ago. If I could find them I would sue them for back rent, the damage and all my stuff they stole. THANK GOD they didn't take the appliances and my butcher block or gut the house.

Here in about 6 months I'll have someone moving out. I don't know what I'll do when that happens... it was really hard finding a tenent and we can't afford even one month of no rent coming in. I guess we'll see what happens :(
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:02 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I am not a landlord but I am sick of mine! I wish I could find a landlord who would work with me and let me fix the things that are wrong in the house! AAHHH

ahyesme

Answer by ahyesme at 2:23 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Yep, we are semi-landlords, renting out the basement apartment in our house. Technically, my dad owns the property and is therefore the landlord, but I do all of the work, so I figure it amounts to the same as me being the landlord. Anyway, what issues are you dealing with?
    Anonymous

• P.S. ....That first anon response was just wrong and extremely rude. I'm guessing she is having landlord/tenant issues herself and decided to take it out on you.
    Anonymous

• We've been land lords since 96 and we've had to evict 2 different tenants before which is a nightmare-we lost alot of money and the stress is crazy. we've had these great tenants for 4 years and now they're getting a divorce and gave us a 2 week notice!!!! The ad in the paper will be on monday and just for a 14 day ad I had to pay $121 for like 3 lines! I'm just hoping we find decent people within a month and in my area it is very hard! It's the worst part of being a land lord is to weed through the dummies that come apply because they don't know how to read the ad. I expect people with like 8 cats and 12 kids! Our city is filled with somalians who keep chickens in their kitchen cabinets and kill them as well. They will come flocking to get this apartment and there's no way I will rent to them!
    lich663

Answer by lich663 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I'm a property manager. My parents own the rentals I manage. It's hard work! And, if you don't run things right you can lose a lot of money!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:39 AM on Mar. 21, 2010