What do they look at when you apply to be a teacher?

I know backgrounds and stuff but what about college transcripts? My GPA was low last semester and I've withdrawn from classes so there's "W" on it a lot. I'm just concerned about not being able to get a teaching job because of this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Some require a Master's Degree. Most require certification. They are laying off so many teachers why would you want to invest money in becoming one? If you get the job just don't have sex with the teens. So many women are being arrested for having sex with these young teens. They have arrested a half a dozen of them just around here and it's not a large town!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I plan on getting a Master's. None of that answered my question. If you don't know then don't answer some stupid response. Duh..I'm not going to have sex with a high school kid. They need teachers you boob.

OP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• You need at least a BA and state certification. They will look at your transcripts and GPA. Administrators want to see that you scored very well in all of your " teaching" courses. I am talking As. They also want letters of recommendation, reviews from principals (during student teaching) and college professors. Having an endorsement on your certificate helps a lot, especially if it is in reading or SPED. During an interview they are going to see how knowledgeable you are when it comes to guided reading, assessments, differentiated instruction, etc. Teaching now a days is a VERY competitive field, at least in my state. Every ONE position open can have up to 200 applicants.

As the PP stated, many lay offs are also occurring unfortunately. That doesn't mean other districts are not hiring. It just means thecompetition is FAR GREATER. You'll be applying against experienced teachers laid off from other districts.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:56 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Ok so if I didn't do so well my first two years of school-which is mostly gen ed classes anyway (the teaching ones I have taken I got d's in but I'm retaking them since they won't transfer) they won't really hold that against me?

I'm going to be a health teacher...by the way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• In my city...las Vegas, they are so desperate for teachers they don't care what your degree is in as long as you have it and you need a bachelors as far as I know.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:59 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• No one has ever required my transcripts. I teach in the private sector. They do ask for proof of graduation, which can be a transcript. My current employer asked for a photo copy of my highest degree.

If you have a teaching certificate, they'll want the info on that. That will pretty much cover you as far proof of training. Make sure you have at least 4 people you can rely on for recommendations. People flake on recommendations. If you are working with students in any kind of special program, your rec letters will hold a lot of weight.

Your GPA and Ws are going to have more impact on your grad school apps than on getting a job. It may help to teach for year before enter grad school. Some states have tuition assistance programs for continuing ed and they are the jack pot.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:03 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• My grad school is at the same school as my BA-so I was told that would necessarily be a problem since i'm transferring to this new school in the summer or fall. They only count GPA for classes taken there..So it's kinda like a fresh start.just with the W's and bad GPA from before..Lol

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• They check for unsightly nose and ear hair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• LOL Anon32

Calliesmommy... same here, as long as you have any degree they will take you.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:43 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• IF you have a 4 year BS degree in education, then you can apply. Otherwise, with an incomplete record and withdrawals from classes, I wouldn't say there was much of a chance. A degree is essential and decent grades,too. I wouldn't wnt my kids being taught by someone whohasn't shown any evidence of competence.Your response that I am copying shows a lack of maturity, I might add. It will take a little more than this to get somewhere in life.If you plan on getting your Masters' degree, you first need a BS in Education, not a BA..

11:53 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 by: Anonymous
    I plan on getting a Master's. None of that answered my question. If you don't know then don't answer some stupid response. Duh..I'm not going to have sex with a high school kid. They need teachers you boob.

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Mar. 20, 2010