What would you say to a woman who is..

actively TTC, might be pregnant but wants to drink?

Just curious, it's not about me just a spinoff of another question. I would love to see others point of view on this.

I personally would suggest not to because she could be pregnant. I think it is one thing to drink when you don't know you are pregnant but also wasn't tring to get pregnant but a whole nother thing to drink when you are TTC and fully aware that you could be pregnant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would think it's a very bad idea but I don't know if I would say anything. If I knew for sure she was pregnant, maybe. I would hope her husband would have the sense to step in and talk to her.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:13 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• How much are we talking here? A beer? A glass of wine? I knew I could be pregnant and had a beer the night before I found out. I'm 20 weeks now and I take sips of my hubby's beer every once in a while. I did some research on fetal alcohol syndrome when I was in high school. Here's what I found.

7 out of 10 women admit to consuming alcohol during pregnancy.

1 of those 7 admit to drinking 7 or more drinks PER WEEK throughout pregnancy.

1 in 12,000 babies is born with FAS.

You have to drink A LOT to cause problems for a baby. One here and there is not going to cause any problems. I NEVER recommend drinking more than one or two, though.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:22 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Ati, I am not sure where you got your information from but it is completely false. I am a counselor that works with many people who have FASD. It used to be thought that a pregnant women would have to drink a lot for a child to have FAS which used to be categorized by the flat facial features. They realize now that FAS is on a spectrum. A child will not have the facial features but can have learning disabilities, lower than average cognitive abilities, ADD, ADHD, ODD, etc. I would seriously abstain completely. Why take the chance?

FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 1:46 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I agree, why take the chance? I dont think I would say anything cuz I guess thats their choice but I dont think its okay, and I would never do so myself.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 1:48 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I would say it is nobody's business. It is between her and her doctor. Her conscience and her self control should tell her not to drink....not you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Are we talking about getting falling down drunk every weekend, or are we talking about one glass of wine on her wedding anniversary? There's a hell of a lot of difference there. Moderation in all things, and very little to no alcohol if pregnant, but she doesn't even know if she is or not yet, so I don't think once would hurt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Mar. 20, 2010