A $100 lunch bag?????

So I teach first grade. A parent came in with her DD yesterday about an hour after the bell. I had left, so she met with the principal. She was complaining that her DD's lunch bag was getting dirty and ruined. It had small tears, and gets tossed around too much.

The students put their lunch boxes in a lunch bucket in the AM. It gets carried to the lunch room. They eat, and put the empty boxes/bags back into the bucket, which then gets returned to class. Mom says she paid $100 for her DD's lunch bag and wants it kept isolated and free from being damaged. IT'S A LUNCH BAG!! Who pays $100 for a 6 year old's lunch bag??? My principal said she had to hold back her laughter when mom was talking, for she sounded RIDICULOUS. All I can say is that I am glad I LEFT school before she showed up. lol That family is a bit OFF.

Would you pay $100 for a damn lunch bag/box?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• AH HAHAHAHAHAHA! So funny! Of course I wouldn't pay 100 bucks for a lunch bag. Only a nut job would.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:35 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Who the heck would do that?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:37 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• The mom was probably greatly exagerating on how much she paid for the lunch bag.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 1:41 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Mom claims it was a rare item purchased in Japan. To me it looks like a mini version of a nice diaper bag. ::shrugs:: She was VERY serious in speaking with the principal too. Some families are just a bit nuts, hehe.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• You know... the bags they put your groceries in are free... and hold up a lot better to abuse than $100 designer stuff for kids, since they are meant to be thrown away after each use and their replacements are also free.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 1:46 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I spent five dollars on my husbands lunch bag, it doesn't have any wear and tear on it and he isn't exactly gentle with his things. Heck it doesn't even have any grease stains on it and the man works on jets all day. So no, there's absolutely no way I would ever spend one hundred dollars on a lunch bag. I just realized I compared my husband to a six year old, wow that's sad but I stand by my statement lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I might spend $100 on something like that for my boyfriend, b/c he's a truck driver and I would expect that to be a small fridge for his truck. LOL...seriously, he can buy a small fridge for the truck for that price, so no, I wouldn't spend that much on a lunch bag. Especially for my kids. My kids could destroy a concrete bomb shelter if they put their minds to it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:29 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Mom claims it was a rare item purchased in Japan.

Okay, I can see paying $100 for a nice bag like that, but I sure as heck wouldn't give it to a first-grader to take to school. I learned a long time ago not to send anything to the school if you don't want it destroyed or lost.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:37 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Ahahaha!!! This is the funniest thing I have seen on CM in a long time! $100 lunch bag!! For a 6 year-old!!! Priceless. I wonder if they use toilet paper laced with gold too. If it's so rare and special, then why use it as a lunch bag at all?? If she's worried about the ware and tare, why would she go to the principal of the school rather than just getting a $5 lunch bag and leaving that one for special occasions or something??

I guess you can reason with an unreasonable person though...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:42 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Why would the allow the 6yr old to bring a "rare item from Japan" in to school for a lunch bag in the 1st place. Lunch bags/boxes are purchased at Target at CLEARANCE (couple of dollars each) in my house. And we have some freebies that the older boys received when they were in scouts in our old town from Coleman. We don't pay anymore than $5 for a lunch bag and then I expect to see it come home at the end of the year in used and abused condition.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:04 AM on Mar. 20, 2010