Does anybody know how to RSVP these days? And MEAN it???

Seriously, We planned my DD first bday around 45 people who said, "YES, we will be there, can't wait!" and come party day, 27 actually showed! I'm not talking 45 on the guest list who I assumed would come. There were more on the list. But 45 actually said yes, then about 20 flaked out without notice. If my hubby hadn't called his brother to ask if we could borrow his grill, we wouldn't have known he had a change of plans and couldn't come. All this after we had spent $$$ on supplies for a party for 45, pattied burgers, marinated chicken and made apps/ snacks for 45 guests. Is it so hard to say, a few days in advance, "Hey, I know I said I would be there, but I can't make it now?" Ya know, to spare the party givers a little $, time, and stress?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Entertainment

• I know, rude huh? It seems just as easy to cancel as it is to RSVP. We had that happen at our wedding, although it wasn't that many no shows, but it did cost a lot when we paid for their food anyways!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Yes, i always make my rsvp unless something critcal comes up. Then, i let the person know. I grew up in a house where you always do what you say you will be doing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• i never call either thats the truth...but my hubby says what ever amount you invite count on half coming.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 2:56 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Wow, 45 guests to prepare for. I would be upset too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I sent out 20 invitations to my DD's birthday (just the kids in her class) and no-one has RSVP.....I could have 20 kids or two, it seems to go both ways. So I will plan for all the kids plus everyone else I know is coming. I am not to worried about left overs I will freeze what isn't used and eat it later.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• (OP)
    Well, i think i decided that for the next few b-days, i will either make it just for blood relatives, or make it pot luck style (she is a baby, so it will mostly be our fam/friends till she is school age). It wouldn't have been a big deal if it were just a few no-shows, but seriously, 50%! (again, not just 50% of the list, but of people who confirmed) I'm just not putting that much work in for another bonk party.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Mar. 25, 2010