how do you get a 5yr old to stop hitting.

my 5yr old hits everyone. his little brother who is 3 and he has even hit his 6month old sister. he hits me and his dad and his great-grandma. we have talked with him we have put him in time out. we have got a punching bag to take his anger out. we are even going to cousaling to see if they could help. but so far no luck. i dont know what to do anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 AM on Mar. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I make my 5 year old do push ups everytime he hits. he is in tae kwon do also so it helps him with his self control.
    RAI2001

Answer by RAI2001 at 5:17 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• what do you do for discipline? talking to him obviously isnt working. you need to have a direct swift consequence that he can understand. My son has had hitting issues. last yearwhat finally worked is that if he hits someone, he has to choose one of the toys he LOVES MOST and give it away or throw it away. period. no if ands or buts. he only hit a few more times after that . once he knew we were serious he stopped
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:20 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• he have took almost all of his toys away and he still does it. my husband said to spank him but i dont see how "hitting" a kid that is getting in trouble for hitting would do any good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• just be consistent. If you switch around punishemts or only discipline 9 out of 10 times he will keep it up. I agree that hitting him will not be of much help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Spank him. Spanking is not hitting. They are 2 different things. I would do it bare bottom. It will sting more. Then he will learn that when he hits someone, he's gonna hurt too. Be consistent about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Try this website: http://www.babycenter.com/0_aggression-how-to-deal-with-hitting-biting-and-more_11550.bc

My daughter use to bite and we found that when she did it, we would say No and remove her from the area. Don't pay much attention to her, since your child sees the attention as a positive because your reacting to the child. Over time your the child will learn it's not nice to hit. For us over time my daughter learned, without spaking, yelling. She stopped and it was on to the next thing.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 6:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• DO NOT SPANK HIM!!! I would agree with the consistent discipline, but not spanking. That will just reinforce that hitting is ok. And spanking and hitting IS the same thing. Also, getting him in counseling to learn anger management techniques is a great idea. I highly recommend the book, 1 2 3 Magic". It is a common sense approach to discipline that works. NO spanking, NO yelling, it actually takes the emotions out of discipline. Read it cover to cover and then follow it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• If it were my kid, you'd bet he would be getting a spanking for that. And strict supervision as we coach him thorugh each conflict without agression. Yes I know "spanking is hitting and teaches them that hitting is okay"... yet 5 kids later and not one of my kids would ever dare to lash out in anger towards another save once when another child attacked our daughter at the playground and my oldest shoved the kid away (proud of him to for that). Does sound like your son has some agression issues. THis could just be part of his temperment. HE needs to learn to control it, it is your job to teach him how to do that. But within that you have to set boundries while he learns. It is not okay for his 6 mo old sibling to be a punching bag while he is being taught. He needs to understand that it will NOT be tolerated, and at 5 he is old enough to understand that, but it does not sound like he takes you seriously.
    Anonymous