What does the 'Your baby can read' program use?

I recently found out about it from The Doctors TV show and the videos they showed of babies using the program was amazing. It seemed they were using a lot of flash cards so I figured you can pretty much create your own learning tools without buying it. What else does the program use and how? What is the DVD like?

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 AM on Mar. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ryanlynn is actually correct. I'm a 2nd grade teacher. Kids can learn to read without ever touching phonics. How do you think that kids who teach themselves to read manage to do that? A bright child can teach themselves to read through memorization. They figure out the phonics patterns (subconsciously) by memorizing and then translating the patterns they've observed to other words. I'm not familiar with this program and I don't think it's necessary to teach a baby to read. But, I'm tired of hearing people say that the kids aren't really learning to read because they're memorizing. Explicitly taught phonics is a great tool for students who struggle with reading. I do teach phonics, I do believe in it, but a bright child doesn't need it taught explicitly in order to learn to read.
    Haven't you ever seen that email where the letters in every word are out of order but you can still read it perfectly?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Its a dvd system... I don't know if it really works like that though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:40 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• There are dvd's that have to be watched twice a day. If the kids stops for a while they forget really quickly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:47 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I think just reading to them all the time and the same books over and over would be more benifical. I doubt watching hours of the dvd would be good and reading with them works really well if you do it for the same amount of time.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 6:53 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Total scam... It teaches them what the word looks like and they memorize it, but if you cover one letter up they do not have a clue what it could be. It causes problems for them in kindergarten and in the long run because it messes with them learning basic phonetics.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• It does not work.. Your baby is NOT learning to read. They are learning memorization of sight words. The quickest program I have found to actually work is this one:
    http://www.timberdoodle.com/Teach_Your_Child_to_Read_in_100_Easy_Lessons_p/460-010.htm

I know for a fact it works, and it is used in MANY high quality schools. It teaches your child to ACTUALLY read, not memorize words that they do not understand.
    bellaamore

Answer by bellaamore at 7:10 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• It uses Classical Conditioning. Google "Pavlov's Dog."
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:18 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• The dvd's are only 30 min. but you have to watch them twice a day for a long time. Kids get bored with this. Maybe little babies wouldn't mind, but toddlers lose interest quickly. We make our own flashcards, but have to make them out of something indestructable. Their dvd's show an arrow going across the bottom of the words as they are read, but a finger across a flashcard works just as well! We also used a label maker on a lot of our household items so they could see the words on real things.
    ccmegos

Answer by ccmegos at 9:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• You people crack me up..you learn to read BY memorizing the words...HOW did you memorize to spell?Spelling test..reading the same word over and over again. Writing them over and over again.then using them in a sentence. Same thing with MATH..flash cards anyone? LOL
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:14 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Ryanlynn I understand what you are saying, but does the dvd teach the alphabet and phonetics first? My daughter can recognize certain words but since she is just learning the alphabet, I do not consider it reading because she doesn't know the basics. Before you memorize how to do math you need to know your numbers.

I don't know if the program works or what it uses, I don't really care. My baby does not need to read, being a baby is good enough for me.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:22 AM on Mar. 20, 2010