1 month old with constipation

I have a 1 month and 2 week old daughter that has a slight constipation. Its not hard like rocks but she is having to really work hard to get it out. I have an appt. on moday to get her checked but I am wondering if there is anything I can do before that. SHe is formula fed( enfamil gentlelease) but was breast fed for the first month then i stoped due to problems and have formula fed ever since. I don't remember my 2 year old son ever having this issue with formula but i also never breastfed him. So this is new to me at this age.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 AM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it is not dry, hard, or pellet like, then it's not constipation. Infants have to learn how to use those muscles. As long as she's going, and it's not hard, a bit of struggling is not a health concern. And NEVER use Karo syrup. It carries a risk of botulism poisoning, just like honey does, and their own website specifically states that it is not for infant use.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I used a little bit of karo (?) syrup with my youngest when he got constipated. I just put maybe a pea size amount on my finger and put it in his mouth. It worked pretty well. She may just be constipated from the switch to the formula. My oldest son was formula fed from day one and he had a lot of issues with that. Good luck!
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 7:08 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Could be from going from BFing to formula. I know at that age they are still learning how to do things in cluding pooping. I would try pushing the knees to the chest when she is pooping it may help her push it out
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 7:16 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Buy a small bottle of Gerber First Stages prunes and give her one baby spoonful of them or you could try a little Gerber apple juice and don't worry starting solids or giving juice at her age is not going to hurt her. My kids all started having solid food when they were a month old and all of them are perfectly healthy.
    Joyzap2003

Answer by Joyzap2003 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• No food at 1 month ... talk about real belly problems especially since formula isn't even sitting well. Absolutely NO Karo syrup ever (botulism risk). Botulism can be deadly in infants.

Is there any way you can start back with a bit of breastmilk to help ease the pain that formula can cause? Formula can be so harsh on a child's stomach.

Anonymous

• Ask your pediatrician if it's okay to give her juice or prunes. I gave my kids solids at that age because the pediatrician told me to.
    Joyzap2003

Answer by Joyzap2003 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Thanks ladies. I waited a week and she is all better. Her Dr. did say Prune juice was totally fine but I didnt have to give it to her. she is doing great!! thanks
    Anonymous