What is the best washer and dryer set to buy? I have a family of 5?

I am leaning towards a front loader.I would consider the whirlpool cabrio toploader but I read some bad reviews.

ariesfool

Asked by ariesfool at 8:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• i have the whirlpool duet, and i have a family of 6. it is large and supposed to actually save on the water bill. we got our about the same time we had our twins, so i didn't notice much of a water bill change! oh, we only have the washer and we wish we would have gotten the dryer at the same time :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:17 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I like my Neptune. I have it as a top loader. I've had it for about 4 yrs, and I LOVE it. Unfortunately, we now live overseas, and we had to put our washer in storage. We have a front loader in the house we live in (it's a whirlpool) and I don't like it. I'm always realizing that I dropped a sock, or want to toss that dishtowel in really fast, etc, and even though I can pause the cycle and open it (of course, I only do this at the beginning), it still drips all over the floor and everything, and I don't like that.

Plus, I know it's not the same brand, but it seems like it doesn't hold as much.

Though my mil has the front loader of the Neptune, and she really likes it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:19 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Love my whirlpool duet front loader pair.
    The Neptune (by Maytag now owned by Whirlpool) gets horrible consumer ratings.

Do some research on Cnet and epinions and see what people say about washers and dryers. And remember that Kenmore doesn't make their own appliances.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:54 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I just bought an LG 2301 pair (front loading) in January after two weeks of researching the different models. I'm very pleased with the pair. My electric bill dropped significantly (we have our own well so I don't pay a water bill). I was adamant that I have the biggest drum size 4.2 cu ft and now I can do double the load size that the top loading ultra capacity washer that I owned before this could handle. My new washer also spins dry at almost double the speed and the clothes come out with less moisture in them and will dry MUCH faster in the dryer.

I still have the Consumer Reports files that a friend sent me from the 2010 Buyer's Guide. I would be very willing to forward them to you if you PM me with your email address.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 11:26 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I have the LG front loader washer and dryer.. It is very quiet, uses very little water, adjusted time to weight of load, has a quick cycle and looks very stylish!

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 11:51 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I have a front loading Samsung set that I bought almost two years ago, based on glowing reviews. They were pricey, but I'm really happy with them! They hold a crazy amount of stuff, so much that I had to get bigger laundry baskets and my loads still don't fit in them. They have really nice, practical features and get the clothes really soft and clean without beating them up.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:24 PM on Mar. 20, 2010