Communication

So, how well do you communicate with your spouse/SO? I feel that I can communicate openly when I have an issue, but DH is not exacly like this. Have you ever "missed" an opportunity to experience that rare openness from your spouse/SO.. or been on the other side of the spectrum? What do you do? How should I address the situation? My hubby is deployed, and the most of the conversation we get is over chat/IM. He gave off a very subtle cue yesterday that I didn't think too much of until he mentioned later that he really NEEDED to talk to me. Now that I know, he's saying that it's no big deal. I want him to feel like he can be competely open with me and come to me for ANYTHING.. but I just feel like I did something wrong, that I just took ten steps back in any progress he was making towards being able to express his feelings.

JDanesMommy

Asked by JDanesMommy at 8:34 AM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• I am completely open with my SO about how I am feeling or when we need to talk about something. he's the same way with me. We talk about everything.

I did have communication issues with my ex-husband tho. We couldn't talk to each other. Just fight a lot about everything. So with him I was afraid to talk about my feelings lest I be known as weak. (He's a Marine. He's been honorably discharged but still acts like an idiot. I now don't want to be with any one that is in any branch of the service.)
    NikLvsNick

Answer by NikLvsNick at 9:27 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• tell him that. say"I think I dropped the ball yesterday and I want to say I am sorry and I am listening if you want to talk about that issue" if he says no, stop feeling guilty as you gave him opportunity and will just have to let him work this out for himself. honestly maybe the later time you talked to him and asked him to share, he couldnt, maybe someone was around or something-ya never know. again if you open the door, its up to him to walk thru it, you cant pull him thru.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:24 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Bearsjen: I did apologize for not being attentive when he needed it, and I also told him that I hoped that whenever something did arise, he doesn't leave me in the dark about it. I just hate that he now doesn't want to talk about it, but I didn't press the issue when he said it was no big deal. He said he's fine and dealt with it on his own.. I just feel like I let him down. I'm trying not to feel guilty, but it's hard.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 12:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2010