My toddler will not stop throwing his food, what can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my baby brother did that all the time. with all the food he threw and didn't eat makes me wonder how he got to be six foot six!
    in a restaurant he took a dinner roll and threw it across the room and hit some old bald guy on the head- the guy came over, thought it was funny and told us that we had a ball player! he couldnt believe that a baby could have that good of a arm with that great of a aim as well!
    he was right, my brother is now a grown man and plays every sport there is and is considered a athletic god by many.

sorry, but not sure how to get him to stop throwing food- my brother outgrew it and that may be what you'll need to wait for with your toddler.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Not a damn thing. They'll out grow it but all you can do in the meantime is put a tarp down under the high chair, and hope for the best. And invest in cleaning supplies, you're going to need them.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 9:59 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• When he thows food, let him know that the next time his meal will be over. If he throws food again, let him know that you are keeping your word, clean him up and send him on his way.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:24 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• We started using Love & Logic with our twins when they were 17 months old. If they threw their cup, we'd say, "Uh Oh, so sad your cup has to go back in the fridge," and we'd make sure they saw us put it away. If they threw food, we'd say, "Uh Oh, it's so sad you don't want to eat nicely with us," and we'd take their food and put them in their crib. When we put them in the crib we'd say, "I'll be back when you are sweet." We'd leave them there until they were calm for a minute or two. When we went to get them out of the crib we'd say, "I'm so glad to have my sweet girl/boy back," and we'd give them a hug and kiss and send them on to play. Within a week or two we had no more intentional food throwing.  The key is to make sure there is an undesired consequence every time food is thrown.  Consequences speak much louder than words. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:26 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Mine does that when he's done eating. He's 13 months.
    Anonymous

• I've always considered the meal to be over once they start throwing food. My kids would eat as long as they were interested in eating and would start to throw when they were not interested anymore. So at that point I'd take away their food and clean them up.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 1:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2010