question about feeding my baby

i'm hoping you all can help me. my baby is ready for cereal and baby food. i'm just confused on everything. how many times a day should she eat the cereal and baby food. also, should she eat both in one day? and how many bottles should she have in a day? should she have the same amount she's been having while having food in the same day? i'm so confused. lately she's been having her four bottles a day with the normal six ounces and one feeding time of cereal or baby vegetables.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mama, hang on-I am going to pull the feeding sched from my moms group. my son is 11 months old so I just went thru this. brbr with it, will paste it here.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:13 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• depends on how she is. i started cereal at 3 months just a few spoonfuls a day before bed. i started the 2oz jars of fruits/veggies at 4 months and just 1 a day and somedays i gave him a 1/4 cup of cereal. and 24oz a day is pefectly normal the norm is like 22-36oz a day depending on age
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 10:15 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• http://www.parents.com/parents/search/results.jsp?searchType=content&searchString=ready+for+solids&_requestid=33248

ok mama, here is a site that has a whole menu of things to click on to show you. assuming baby is four months tho, you start with a table spoon of watery rice(or oatmeal) cereal 2 times a day, breakfast and dinner- only one new food at a time and as far as formula tha wil be ont he page I am linking for you too.good luck and relax, it seems scarey but it gets easier :).
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:18 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• OP
    i dont know if this helps but she is 5 months and weighs almost 16lbs. she loves the foods and gets very excited with them. she is also getting 2 teeth in.
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Formula/breast first. ALWAYS in the first year. You offer solids after a bottle/breast feeding. As for what and when, there are really no rules. Personally, I think cereal is gross, and I didn't use it. You can use jarred baby foods, or mash up what you're having. I know you think she's ready, but remember, if she pushes it out of her mouth, or turns away from it, she isn't. Is she sitting up on her own and able to pick up small items between her thumb and pointer finger? Those are also signs of readiness. I don't know how old your LO is so I can't say whether or not I think its a good idea, but you seem to think it is, so follow her lead. The main thing is that you don't want her to decrease the amount she drinks. If she starts to do that, and prefer the solids, it's time to slow down a bit with the solids. The entire first year, baby's nutrition should come from breast milk or formula. The solids are
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:21 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• basically for practice. Once a day sounds fine, and until I know the age of your child, I can't really advise if it is a good idea to offer solids more often. If she's old enough that she can pick up small, soft foods and feed herself, then she's absolutely ready. And you can offer small soft foods for her to self feed, when she gets to that point. I hope I answered your questions.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:23 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• OK, now I see your reply just before mine. 5 months is ok, though I would probably wait until at least 6, maybe longer. But, you've started, and she likes it. So, as I said. Follow her lead. Mash up a banana, or an avocado, or continue with jar food if that is what you prefer. I'd stay with once a day for now. You'll know when the right time to offer more is. Just take it slow. What you don't want is for her to fill up on solids, and then not want to take her bottles, which she NEEDS for nutrition, and growth. Like I said, if she begins to slow down on her bottles, you need to back off the solids a bit. And always offer solids AFTER a bottle. GL!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breast milk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. Two fantastic books on feeding babies, with slightly differing philosophies are Baby Led Weaning and Super Baby Food. Check them out of the library. Both websites have great information: www.babyledweaning.com www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 11:22 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I just started my four month old on solids today, and im planning to picka time of the day like 12:00pm and make that the time i give her the solid, and then Or maybe switch it for dinner, i dont kow but im planing to keep feeding her as i've been doing and just feeding her solids once a day...
    Anonymous