Garage sale?

I have so much stuff that has to go. I want to have a garage sale but don't know where to begin. How do I price? How do I set up? Where to advertise? Any tips would really help! I have 20, 25 gallon containers full of stuff. I am overwhelmed.

yldflwr

Asked by yldflwr at 11:37 AM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Just get some tables or pieces of wood and saw horses to use as tables. Group similar items together (knick knacks, clothes, books, etc.) If you have any stuffed animals or kids toys, you can spread out a blanket on the yard and put them all on there. You just want to make sure to organize it so people can look without squatting down. If you really want to sell quickly, price dirt cheap. Just think what you would most likely pay for the item at a garage sale (don't think about how much you spent on it in the first place) and don't go above that price. You can advertise at Craigslist.com and make signs up. If you live near a highway or popular road you can place signs out at the road and lead people back to your house. When I'm garagesaling, I tend to follow signs made on neon poster board. Make sure the signs are big enough for people to read at least the garage sale part while they're driving by, (Cont...)
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 12:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• But really all you need on the sign is GARAGE SALE with your street address and date and times of the sale.
    Make sure you stock up on plastic grocery bags for the day of the sale, and make sure you have plenty of change (coin, 1s, and 5s).

Also, make sure you won't need any type of permit to set up. In my town, you need to get a permit from city hall for $1 to post otherwise you can be fined.

Good luck with your sale!
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 12:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Put an ad in the paper. Also, check with your neighbors, maybe they'd like to have a neighborhood garage sale. Those tend to be more successful.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 12:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Also, just start. You get overwhelmed by thinking about it. Just tackle one small area at a time. Start with setting up tables, or heck, even just separating your totes in the yard into sections. Then do one section at a time. This shouldn't be as stressful as it seems. Try to get your kids involved...."Put all the books over here." things like that. It could be a fun weekend family thing, and net you some money. Good luck!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 12:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I put my ad on craigslist and signs at the end of the street and main road leading to my house. It was too time consuming to price everything, so I made deals with my buyers. I also posted larger item seperately on craigslist.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 4:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• WE GIVE OURS TO THE COMUNITY FOR THOES WHO NEED IT AND TAKE IT OFF THE TAXS.. WE DO IT EVERY YEAR..  CALL AROUND GIVE IT TO CHLDRENS HOMES .. AND BATTERD WEMON  HOME ..CITY UNION MISSION NEED A LOT OF THINGS,,  ASK YOUR PASTOR..

Anonymous