my 5yr old son will not eat, good food just junk. ; (

i took the junk cookies and chips out of the house, and he won't eat veggies or meat, mac & cheese and pizza is it...he will go to sleep with out eating just not to eat what i made for the night. i got canned ravioli with veggies in it. he won't eat it. how can i get the good stuff in his tummy. he won't drink the ensure drinks, i don't know what to do.... : (

sexeykittycalie

Asked by sexeykittycalie at 11:43 AM on Mar. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• These are all variations of what I would say. My son will do it. I won't cave in and give him whatever he wants though(not that you do). We have a rule in our house, dinner time is family time @ the table. No one gets up until everyone is finished. If he doesn't want to eat, then he has to sit there and wait until we are all finished....and til I'm finished cleaning up. If he STILL won't eat, which doesn't happen anymore, he can go to bed hungry. Also, what really helped me, was I included them in the meal making process. "What should we have for supper? Chicken and potatoes or Spaghetti? Things like that. Give them options, but healthy options. If they go to grandparent's houses or babysitters homes, tell them what you are doing. No cookies, chips, soda, etc. And also, when he does eat good, reward him with 1(one) cookie. So that this way he doesn't think there are no more cookies allowed. Good luck!!!!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 12:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Momma take CONTROL he wont literally starve himself . so just keep giving him the good stuf
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:49 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Stop buying the junk and giving in to him having the junk stuff. He'll eat if he's hungry, but he'll be able to "get by" until he gets his mac and cheese or pizza next time if he knows you'll cave and give it to him. Make a variety of things so he can try foods in different ways. Give him veggies with dips, broccoli with cheese or cheese sauce, make taco salads, include beans, tomatoes, corn, etc. Have nuts and fruits for snacks. Puree and add veggies to other things if necessary. You can steam and puree cauliflower and make homemade mac and cheese and add the cauliflower to the cheese sauce before baking. Make casseroles that have veggies mixed in with the meat and noodles or rice, or whatever else is in it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• No normal child will starve their self. When he is hungry, he will eat. Do not go out of your way to get special things (like ensure), just provide him with access to only the foods you want him to have, and when he is ready to, he will eat them.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:10 PM on Mar. 20, 2010