Need Breastfeeding help!

Hi, I have been breastfeeding for 9 days now and DS seems to be doing pretty well at it. My question is: do I have to offer both sides? He seems to finish on his own on the first side and then falls asleep so I never offer the other side. Is this ok or should I be trying to offer it for some reason?? He seems to be eating non stop day and night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dd did the same thing. If you can't get him to eat at the other one at that time I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you offer the other one to him at the next feeding. I used to have a ponytail holder on my wrist and would switch it back and forth to remember which side dd ate off last.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 12:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I agree with PP....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Amberbrat is completely correct. Just offer that other side at the start of the next feeding and it's all good.
    Anonymous

• I would feed off one breast per feeding. Just start with the unused breat at the next feeding. I did this with my DD. It worked well for us. Some people use ponytail holders, some bobby pins on the bra strap.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Ditto. And babies that age are on the boob non stop. They have several growth spurts in a row.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:31 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• thanks everyone, never thought about the ponytail thing, good idea!
    Anonymous

• Also, try burping after he finishes on the one side. This may wake him enough to eat some on the other side too. Then next time, start with the side the finished on last and repeat, he may go longer between feedings that way. Also, see how you feel to decide which side to start on, sometimes if he doesn't get a lot of the "hind milk" you may still feel full - always start on the full breast first ;)
    Mayceesmommy

Answer by Mayceesmommy at 4:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Offer the second side if he's awake. If he takes it, then great. If not, that's great too. He's a newborn, so he will be eating nonstop day and night for a while. As long as you're changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, and he's gaining weight, keep doing what you're doing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 20, 2010