A chruch depends on faith to heal sick children and thinks that getting a doctor is a sign of weakness....

For three decades children of this congregation have been dying because of this. Do you think the person in charge should go to prison for murder? Or for neglect?

(Sorry I can't find a link since I saw it on the news.) It was reported on CNN though if you're wanting to look in to it and can find it online.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 12:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is neglect. I feel God gave us doctors and people knowledgeable to help.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I agree.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:55 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I think it's horrible- I mean to a point- OK go with faith but if it isn't working or it is something more serious or urgent SEE a doctoer!!! I mean if God mad everything- then didn't he ultimately make doctors and science anyway?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• The Bible clearly says to mix your faith with your medicine in Peter. Nothing wrong with seeking medical attention AND praying about restoration of health. I don't understand the all or nothing mentality of this particular church.
    Anonymous

• My younger boys have friends that are the same age and brothers also;they belong to a similar type church.The mom has type 1 diabetes and her church has encouraged her to lift it up to the Lord.As she deteriorates and is less involved with her middle school boys we are watching them turn on some wrong paths.She is married to their dad but he embraces the concept also.I am an active Methodist and we believe docs can be instruments of God I have tried to explain that concept because I care and worry about them all.She tells me God will provide.Parents do get sick and sometimes are not able to be all, well that is just life sometimes but this is just upsetting.I think these type churches should be held accountable for their preaching if it directly is the cause.Sorry such a rant this is just upsetting as I watch these sweet boys disappear and little thugs emerge unchecked.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:14 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Neglect for sure, however it should also go into mental incapibility. Sometimes faith can hurt you
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 1:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I believe in having faith but I also believe in going to a doctor when you're sick. I wish people could see that maybe they have this illness to show their faith and calmness to others in the hospital or doctor's office.
    God also gave us the good sense to get thee to the doctor.
    deedon

Answer by deedon at 1:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I was married to a Christian Scientist and I'm a nurse. Note: "was" married. They truly believe they need to stay away from doctors/medicine. My mil was attacked by her dog, he bit her terribly in several areas of her arm. I wanted to go and take care of her but my husband said no. I might "be the devil". Oh yeah. I'm the devil all right. I never saw my mil's arm after that, she started wearing long sleeves, then I was divorced and "not welcome" in their presence.
    Anonymous

• All deaths have to be reported and I can't believe these parents have not been questioned about these deaths. Absolutely no one has brought this to the authorities attention, no relatives, no friends worried about whats going on?
    Parents have certain rights but I don't think even your religion should allow you to allow a child to die when all they need is a medicine or procedure that will save them.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I have mixed emotions about this. People should be able to practice the beliefs and religion. If you are an adult, you should be able to decide 100% about your choices. No one should interfere.

Kids, I'm not so sure about. I wouldn't want the government deciding my kids health care. Some people consider not vaxxing your kids neglect. Others look at all forms of natural or homeopathic medicine as dangerous. Other people deem vaccinations the equivalent to poisoning your kids.   Who decides what is appropriate or not?

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2010