Did you stop drinking sodas? How much weight have you lost?

Im seriously considering giving up soda alltogether. my addiction to Pepsi is soooooo bad!

How did you kick the habit so to speak? How much weight have you lost? Can really use some pointers on how to get started? Should I stop cold turkey or gradually?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Geishagyrll

Asked by Geishagyrll at 1:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I stopped drinking soda about a year ago. The only time I have it now is when we go out and the place doesn't have tea, so maybe once every few months or so... But I haven't lost any weight from it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Coke is my nemesis, lol. I haven't cut it out completely, but I only have one a day, and none on weekends unless we go out to eat. I've lost about 15 lbs in 3 months, but that's cutting down on sugar in general, not just soda...so not as much soda, not as much ice cream, not as much candy, etc. And I'm breastfeeding, which helps a whole lot. I don't think just soda really would've done anything for me.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Oh, and if you really drink it that often, then stopping cold turkey might give you a headache, literally, if you've become addicted to the caffeine. So if you can deal with that, then stopping cold turkey would get you over that sooner and you can take some Tylenol for the headaches, or you could cut it down gradually. Just a heads up.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• About 4 years ago I quit drinking pop. I was drinking a few cans of Dr Pepper a day. I cut it out gradually - didn't want the headaches from lack of caffeine! I lost about 30 lbs in a few months after quitting - it was the ONLY change I made to my diet!
    Anonymous

• wow thanks everyone.....I drink about 4 cans a day.....soooo sooo bad I know!
    Geishagyrll

Answer by Geishagyrll at 1:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• My husband and I quit cold turkey!We just drink water now and occasionally use those drink packs from walmart to go into the water for something differrent.We have also cut out most all sugar and the bad snack foods.We both have lost weight.
    jlwisenberg

Answer by jlwisenberg at 2:24 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I used to drink Mountain Dew that was my addiction. I drank about 5 cans a day. I had to quit. What helped me quit was watching the TV show called The Doctors! They do a lot of shows on drinking soda and how bad it is for you. I have read so many stories about the health issues it causes. So I quit all together.
    I lost 20lbs I started by cutting down drastically to 3 cans a day over a 3 week period and found something else in its place. Then I started seeing the difference on the scale. Then 2 cans a day over a 3 week period saw more weight going. The one can a day for 2 weeks then just 1 can every other day until I finally could live without it. That was my only caffeine drink I would drink. Now I drink Green Tea in place of it.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 2:55 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Yes, I quit drinking sodas a few years ago.. And yep, it help to contribute to my weight loss. And not drinking them does help me to maintain my present size/weight.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:45 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I stopped drinking soda like 3 years ago and I didnt loose any weight. I was pretty small to begin with though i was only 100 lbs and wasnt a huge soda drinker anyway.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2010