Can I start breast feeding 3 months postpartum? Can you supplement with Nursing?

baby was born breach and had MAS, spent a month in the NICU, I pumped exclusivly for the month he was in the hospital, but i just couldnt continue after we got him home.
Now he is almost 3 months, and starting to reject the bottle.
My milk is still there (around a quarter of an ounce), but barely. I want to nurse, and so does he...but I am worried I cant get my supply up without having to pump. ( I have serious trauma with the pump) any moms out there have any advice? should we keep him on the bottle, and suplement with nursing? has anyone ever done this?

kiwigoddess

Asked by kiwigoddess at 2:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, you can relactate, especially as you are still producing. Go to these sites: http://www.kellymom.com/ for info on relactating, and http://www.lll.org/ for the nearest La Leche League group. I want to encourage you to get in touch with a lactation consultant, and also to join one of the breastfeeding groups on here to help you in this.  You may want to find a store that stocks fenugreek to start taking to increase your supply(GNC has it online), and you can start putting your son to the breast and getting him latched on to signal your body to start producing again.

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:25 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• You can also go to http://www.medela.com/ and look for a supplemental nursing system (SNS).  You can put expressed milk or formula in this and the baby can latch like he would be nursing, and do all that, but the milk/formula actually comes from the SNS.  It is something you can do while you get him back on and get your supply up.  FYI: what you pump is often much less than your body is capable of producing.  Breasts are factories to make milk, not warehouses to store it.  As demand increases, production should increase and vice versa.

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Fenugreek is helpful to prduce breast milk.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Yes! All the info you already got is exactly what you need to get started :) good luck, momma! You can do this!
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 4:07 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Also, learn hand expression to help.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• yes! yes! yes!!! Fenugreek& blessed thistle, mother's milk tea.
    Nurse as much as you can, it will help tell your breasts to produce milk. The links from PP are great! Heck, just sit on the couch and nurse all day everyday! =) Good luck!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• my son was in the hospital for the 1st few months oh his life. They wouldn't let me nurse him there so i had to pump. when i took him home i didn't have enough milk to feed him. I sat on the couch all day a nursed him. I even nursed him all night. It was very hard but my milk came back in about 6 days. I had to give him some supplements for about a week then i produced enough milk to feed him without formula. You can do it!!!
    KimsBlake

Answer by KimsBlake at 4:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Pick up a Supplemental Nursing System (google it). Start letting your baby nurse at your breast, and then put that on with your formula in it. Look into the kellymom website listed above and look for their bit about relactating. It mentions all sorts of herbs you can take. You can DEFINITELY do it and GOOD FOR YOU for wanting to!
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 4:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• That is amazing that he wants to nurse being he had nothing but the bottle at an early age. Be grateful because some babies refuse just after having the bottle a few times before a certain age. Re lactating is very possible being he wants to be at the breast. It will signal your body to make more, you already have some there so he will get something if you need to supplement at first do so but try to put him at the breast as much as possible before a bottle feeding.

Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• 1. pump and put baby to breast. pump at leats 6 times a day. you can pump while you nurse or pump 1 hr after nursing
    2. drink lots of fluids 64 oz a day at least
    3. oatmeal
    4. buy fernugreek or mothers milk tea
    5. contact la leche league
    6 AND BEST OF ALL DONT GIVE UP!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:50 PM on Mar. 20, 2010