Do you consider Mythology Science Fiction??

My mom and I were talking about The Clash of the Titans coming to Theaters in 3D. And she mentioned how she really enjoys a good SciFi Flick. I just checked and a few websites have it classified as such...

But in my mind, Mythology isn't really SciFi in the traditional sense... What do you think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:10 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I never thought of it as SciFi. Where the science in it?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:14 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• These days, SciFi is shorthand for Fantasy and Science Fiction - check out the SF channel anymore and it's all wizards and vampires with very little actual SciFi to be found. It really has nothing to do with content - it's the audience. They are going to market it to the same people who have warm fuzzy memories of the original, who also happen to be the same people who have warm fuzzy memories of watching Star Wars at the theater and reading the Hobbit in 3rd grade as required reading.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I understand why they consider it SciFi/Fantasy but I dont think it is. I think in its own way its history.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I always considered mythology it's own genre, with tales about ancient gods and whatnot. I read a lot of SciFi, and mythology has none of the elements of a classic SciFi: science at or beyond the current level, science gone wrong, science gone right, SCIENCE being the deciding factor.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I would not consider myth a SciFi. If I had to categorize a myth movie, I would put it into SciFi. Hmmm. Go figure.

The trailer looked awsome!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Both sci fi and history. It is proven that some of mythology is fact while the rest we truly don't know. It is the same as asking is Christianity, Buddhism, Muslim, or any other form of beliefs is fact or fiction. The mythological gods are still worshipped by some people. Until we die no body can truly decide which belief is fact and which is fiction let alone if any are.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

•  

Actually, thinking back, I think this is why it was originally considered scifi:

http://theseventhvoyage.com/images/Clash%20of%20the%20Titans/bubo2.jpg

I remember they'd use it a lot in the promos they'd use whenever the movie was going to be on TV.  Between that and all the stop-action claymation, it was ultimately the "special effects" that made it scifi. It happens with a lot of the CGI/3D stuff now, too.  Wagner's The Ring doesn't get lumped into SciFi the same way.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• As far as giving it a movie genre, I guess I'd call it fantasy, and opposed to sci-fi. Same as I'd call Passion of the Christ fantasy/sci-fi. They're both based off of books, myths, stories etc. Clash of the Titans just has more special effects.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 2:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• That stuff is true to me in a sense, since I follow the Greek/Hellenic path, and they are my Gods.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:07 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Overall greek mythology is considered that in the US at least, and most westernized cultures. The story may be fiction--someone amde it up ina screenplay.
    It is different than say passion of the christ, which would be under "religion"... let hte critics categorize.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2010