Post Due Date Induction

I wanted to know if anyone has had an induction due to a post due date pregnancy or an induction in general..what was your outcome..how did you and the baby due..my daughter is 3 days late and on Wednesday night if she's not here by then my doctor is going to induce me because he doesn't let his patients go past 41 weeks..both my daughter and I are in great health..I'm just worried about the use of pitocin if it comes to that..they're going to use suppositories on Wednesday night which is going to be applied every three hours throughout the night to help rippen and soften my cervix..then on Thursday if there is no change they will start the pitocin..any information would be helpful..even with jump starting my labor..I'm trying long walks and lots of sex but so far nothing has happened..thanks for your comments..

magicbarr

Asked by magicbarr at 2:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was induced at 36 weeks after my water broke and I had no contractions. I hope to never, ever have to go through the Pitocin ever again. It made the contractions so bad that I actually started to throw up. Why does your doctor not let anyone go past 41 weeks when a due date can be two weeks off in either direction? You can refuse the induction. If you go past 42 weeks, then I would get monitored constantly to ensure the baby's health is okay, and start considering induction THEN, but not before 42 weeks. Most of the time the kiddo will come within a week of the due date, but some will come on their own closer to 42.
    Anonymous

• Induced at 40 weeks and 3 days. I was put on petocin at 6:30am and did that for 10 hours, only to dialate from a 1 to a 2. I was then given a C section. I don't think I was meant to dialate, because my next pregnancy I carried twin boys....I did NOT dialate and my cervix never softened! I had NO contractions at all through my pregnancy. I was told I have a cervix of steel lol I just don't think I dialate! So outcome with my boys was that we did a planned C section...and I wasn't even dialted of soft @ 38 weeks :) They were big twins too! 6lbs 1oz and 7lbs 6oz....
    Anonymous

• Well I know my doctor is having me wait it out a week to see how my body does on it's own with the progression of labor..I'm hoping it doesn't come to an induction but if it does then I'm going to get it done..I get monitored every week twice a week so I knnow that our baby is in good health and there is nothing to worry about..I just wanted to know how induction went for some women even though I know every woman is different..
    magicbarr

Answer by magicbarr at 2:34 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I would NEVER agree to an induction for post-dates alone. THREE DAYS??? That is completely rediculous. Is your doctor going on vacation? The normal range is up to 42 weeks. The majority of women birth their babies within that time frame, but there are others who go over that, and have perfectly healthy babies.
    Are you a first time mom? If so, you have a 50% chance of having a c-section if you agree to an induction.
    Has your doctor discussed your Bishop score with you prior to scheduling the induction? I assume he has not. basically what it tells you is how likely your body will respond to an induction based on several signs.
    Has your doctor informed you of the risks of induction and let you compare them with the risks of staying pregnant?
    These are all things that are of immediate concern.
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I will be 41 weeks at the time of my induction..honestly I don't think my body will change before then..I've been a finger tip dialated for the past two weeks..and if my body doesn't agree to the induction then yes I am aware that I could get a c-section..I honestly don't want to wait any longer then 41 weeks and completely trust my doctor..
    magicbarr

Answer by magicbarr at 2:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• This is still an elective induction. If you're 38-42 weeks pregnant you are still within the average range of pregnancy. If you/baby have a complication, you could weigh the risks of induction.

You have the right to informed consent and to decline your doctor's "preference."

Any "policy" that says "EVERY patient MUST" anything is not fairly & thoroughly advising women in their unique pregnancies. Consenting to a procedure that adds unnecessary risks is optional.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Im going to have an induced labor, somewhere between 39-40 weeks. Is it really that big of deal?
    Anonymous

• Your choice.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I was induced at 38 weeks using just pitocin, no cervical ripening cream, and the contractions weren't any worse than my previous two "typical" vaginal deliveries. She was born within 5 hours and it was wonderful.

Answer by missanc at 3:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• It really *is* a big deal, yes. Because you are going to try to force the baby out, before the baby is ready. This is why earlier inductions for no medical reasons ( being 1 week past your *estimated* due date is not a medical reason ) often end in an instrumental delivery or cesarean.

Labor begins naturally when the baby's lungs excrete a hormone called sufactant. This signals the body to let it know that baby's lungs are fully developed, and baby is ready to leave mom's body. If you induce or have a scheduled cesarean, you are changing the chemistry in the baby's body. Baby is NOT ready to be on the outside until labor has begun naturally.

Not to mention that women who have an elective induction are far more likely to request an epidural, which adds the risk for many complications in and of itself.

Wait until your baby and your body are ready. Please.
    Birthkeeper

Answer by Birthkeeper at 4:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2010