did you have to give up being "you " when you became a mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No. I just assumed a new role, and changed my priorities. Suddenly having a lucrative career wasn't as important as being able to stay at home with my children for a few years. Eight years later, I went back to work in a new career, as a teacher, so I am still able to work full-time and yet be home whenever my children are (school vacations, holidays, summers off, etc.)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:15 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• In little ways, yes, but in my opinion they were good ways. I had my son young and it made me learn what's important in life instead of just skating through. I'm still the same me but with some slight differences.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• No, our children just joined our life, they were included in just about everything we did. He still had his time, I still had me time and we had family and couples only time..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Depends on the person you were before you got pg.
    I believe a part of you can still survive but a part of you is put on hold. Your priorities change and you have to become completely selfless.
    It is hard, it is a completely different life. It gets easier to become you again as kids get older.
    Honestly some young people ( I am young also) do not change and become very irresponsible and selfish parents. They manage to keep up their partying and going out at the expense of their child.
    Some people live a more mellow or structured life that they may adjust easily and quickly to their new role.

I believe it also depends on the partners involvement and support of family and friends.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 3:23 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I gave up the old me and became the new me, I wouldn't change it for anything
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 3:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• No.. I absolutely REFUSED to loose myself just because I became a mom.

Being "Mom" is just one aspect of me.. It is not all that I am, not all of who I am... I am far more than "mom", always have been. Always will be.. I am a person first, a woman second.. Then a wife and mother..

I have put in the time and the effort during the 17 years that I have been "mom" to be ME.. To fulfill my wants, my needs, my dreams and wishes. I make myself a priority.. If I'm not happy, grounded and well taken care of, if my needs are not considered and taken care of , there's no way I can care for my family and their needs.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• YES!!!!!! I use to sleep in!!!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• No, I don't feel like I had to give up 'myself.' I did have to give up some activities, some free time, and change some priorities. However, I'm still me, I still like the things I used to like, have the interests I used to have, etc. Interestingly I'm finding that my oldest child (almost 8) is a lot like me in terms of the things he likes, so it's great to have him able to appreciate me as 'me' and not just as 'mom.'
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Yes I did with my first child and I was very happy for my life to revolve around her. Now Im more relaxed and love to share my hobbies with my kids and get them involved in the things that I like to do.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• In some ways yes in others no but its a good thing. It also opened my eyes to certain people around me. The love is blind no longer is true once you have a child and his well being to worry about.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 20, 2010