Potty training.

I wanted to know what everyone thinks about potty "training" your child or educating them about it and letting them do it on their own. Who does which one and why? Just so you know, not bashing anyone, just wondering. Here is my viewpoint, prolly mainly cuz letting them do it on their own is new to me. I plan to potty train my kids around 2. I see the letting them do it on their own as less likely to wet the bed cuz they did it on their own time, but what if they don't do it before they go to school? Then what?

cyber-pg

Asked by cyber-pg at 3:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you can wait for them to be really ready but still have a cut-off point in mind when you will start training if they don't initiate it. Around 2 1/2 my daughter decided to start using the potty on her own. It was her idea, so there was no power struggle like I had with her older sister who I started training at a much earlier age. I had already decided to start her sometime between 2 1/2 and 3 with a goal of having her trained by 3, but she beat me to it. Letting her lead the way on this made the whole situation so much easier this time around. I'm not sure how I will handle it with my son who is not as strong willed, but I am hoping he will decide on his own too; if he doesn't, I guess I'll pull out all the old tricks (praise and/or bribery)!

Anonymous

• i waited until my dd was ready, but i still had to "train" her. she would show interest in the potty, sit there and poop, but i had ot teach her to pee in the potty. and then we worked on bedtime after she was good during the day for about a month or so. we had very few accidents and even less unhappy moments.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I forgot to say, my other thing is I'm basing my son's potty training on when I get pg. Like I want to get pg May of next year and my son just turned one.
    cyber-pg

Answer by cyber-pg at 5:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2010