do u think a dog kept solely outdoors is abuse?

Asked by mgm_5 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Pets

• No, I don't as long as they have a shelter, water and food. Most dog kennels and agencies disagree. If you adopt a dog from one of these agencies they will make you sign an agreement to not leave the animal outside 100% of the time.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 6:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I kind of on the fence with this one. I think in some cases it might be okay as long as there shade, shelter, food and water. Also the dog should have enough room and lead to be able to get his exercise and go do his business away from where he eats/sleeps. However I don't think that any pet should be left out side in the snow that to me is abuse. And also if it's a smaller or sickly dog don't leave them outside. It all depends on location and breed I guess in my opinion.

Answer by HaleysMama07 at 7:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• If you live in one of the southern states of america, i.e Florida, Georgia, Texas YES the law considers it abuse. You cant leave your dog outside in the daytime, espically NOT chained up, even if it has a dog house. If it wasnt so hot down here I would say leave the dog outside.

Answer by vbruno at 7:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I actually am one of those people that wishes I was one of my canines! I would never leave them outside in the elements to be hot or cold or wet or sad or lonely. I think you get my meaning. My four Dachshunds are entirely in charge of my home, but they let me live here and never tell me they don't love me. They actually dance around me with joy when I come home from work and I hate to leave them. If I were wealthy I would take them with me everywhere I go. Here in my little burg there are no daycares or pet walkers so they are alone together al day long and sometimes all evening when I am at my second job. Man, I am chatty Cathy today! I digress when I start to talk about my babies!

Answer by AnneZbeth at 9:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Only if you do not give the SIGNIFICANT attention. My dog spends all summer days outside but comes in every night until about 1pm the next day.

Answer by TheEyesDesire at 10:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I don't, dogs are meant to be outside they are animals. It is part of their instincts to survive. Dogs can't build houses, what makes people think they should live in one all the time. If yours does good, but if someone keeps their dog outside, there is nothing wrong with that as long as they have a place to get out of the elements.

Answer by leah2113 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• No, but the dog should have shelter, food, water, toys & a comfortable place to rest. Also, the owners should still play with the dog and groom it regularly! A dog is a PET... which means it needs care and attention.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I believe that pets should be treated like family. They should be loved, played with and spoiled just like the rest of your children. Would you make a child sleep outside every day of their life regardless if it is cold or hot? I think that pets need more human interation than they are given a majority of the time and I feel sorry for those pets who stay outside all day and all night, only get fed, never played with, walked, brushed or truely loved. Honestly people, what kind of life is that for a dog? It makes me mad when people aquire pets like they aquire their posessions.

Answer by nicachick412 at 2:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• i do i think they need love and attention and warmth of a nice dog bed in the house and to feel that there cared for

Answer by Patience1 at 4:42 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• When we were growing up (in PA) we had a dog. He stayed outside 95% of the time. BUT we had a line that extended above the entire yard where his chain was conected and he could then roam whereever he wanted. He had plenty of food and water and a HEATED/Cooled dog box. but he was rarely in the house.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2008