Is it commom for milk flow to just stop?

I've been breastfeeding my daughter for 3 & a half weeks since she was born & my breasts have always 'refilled' quickly & I've been using several breast pads throughout the day. Yesterday I noticed that my breasts never got anywhere near as full inbetween feeds and I woke up this morning and they were still 'flat'(she slept for 5hours ish). I've been breastfeeding her all day and have been using the same breast pads since yesterday morn. she seems content but has sometimes fed just 45 mins after her last feed & she usually feeds every 2-3 hrs(until yesterday). I don't know if this is a reason my breasts haven't been full (though she doesn't always take the second breast), or if its a sign that there isn't as much in them, hence her eating more often because she's not getting a lot. Is it common for milk flow to stop, around this time or any time? Anything I can do? Or is this normal and i'm being paranoid?

Melissa15

Asked by Melissa15 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Normal this is around the time your breast milk supply regulates. In the beginning we produce way more than we need and the feeling of engorgement does not happen as often once it regulates. You will still have days where you will feel more engorged than others depending on how long of a stretch the baby sleeps and goes without eating but do not count of how full your breasts feel as a measurement of having enough milk. Go by how many wet and poopy diapers your baby is having.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• thats what happened to me. i woke up one morning and it was just gone. i tried to make her latch but since there was nothing, she wouldnt do it. i called my dr and her pediatrician and no one would help me, so i formula fed :(
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Like Crystal said, in the beginning there is an over-supply of milk, then it begins to regulate & you produce according to how often baby is eating. Your milk supply is fine as long as you're changing at least 6 total (pee&poo) diapers a day.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 5:14 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• at the beginning you had an over supply. i had that too. i could pump 50 oz of milk a day. and i used to have to change pads all the time. it took a while for it to get regulaled. but as long as you getting good amount of diapers that is all that matters
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• It is your supply regulating itself. I would join a breastfeeding group for support. Also find the local chapter of the La Leche League and/or a lactation consultant if you think you are going to need "hands-on" help.
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 7:07 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• No, milk doesn't just dissapear over night. YOu just don't feel engorged or full becuase you are no longer over producing milk. You are producing what your baby demands. When your baby enteres the next growth spurt there will be a lot of extra feeds and insatiable need to be at the breast, and you will notice again you may leak temporarily.

I am sorry msjosey that your support system were idiots and sabotaged you.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• All very normal. Around 3-5 weeks the breasts get used to the supply and demand thing and you no longer feel engorged and many women (myself included) stop leaking a lot too. I still leaked on the opposite side during let down until about 6-7 months and then I could stop wearing pads all together. Look for about 6-8 wet/dirty diapers (if cloth a few more) a day and you are fine. You do not just dry up magically overnight and even if you decided to stop nursing at this point it would take weeks to completely dry up.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• This is normal, and many women don't know it so they panic. Your supply has regulated, which is why you're not leaking much, and not feeling as full. It seems to have coincided with a growth spurt, hence the nursing more then usual. Proceed as usual, nurse on demand, and as long as you're changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, all is well.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Mrsjosey, I'm so sorry you were misinformed. It's very likely that if you'd had the right support and a pedi who knew lots about breastfeeding, that you'd have been able to continue.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• "No, milk doesn't just dissapear over night. "

Yea, actually it does genuis. Try doing your own research on common milk supply issues.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 20, 2010