Why the college here is so expensive?

I'm italian, me and my dh have 2 daughters (they're still 5 and 27 months old fortunately!), I was looking at price for college here in the USA and it's crazy! Shouldn't the education be a right for everybody? In Italy you don't pay so much (I paid about 1000 euro for one year because my father had a good pay), if you come from a poor family you could also get it for free and they also give you money for buy books. My brother got money for his good grades too.
How can a person start a good life being already on debt?
I was thinking about sending my daughters to study in Italy when they will be older but I'm not sure if their Laurea (italian degree) could be used here in the Usa.

shining8250

Asked by shining8250 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You can get things like that here too. Like Pell Grant and scholarships.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 5:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• My niece went to college completely free, five-year full scholarship including tuition, books, room & board, and even got free clothes (she was a soccer player and Nike gave the team wardrobes, not just uniforms, every year.)

In NM, if you graduate from a high school with average or above grades, you can attend any state college for free.  Other states have similar policies. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Mancos. I know Louisiana does that too. Also if you attend collage IN the state you live your rate is usually MUCH cheaper than if you go OUT of state. There are the Pell grants and the scholarships and you can also go to a community college to get your core classes out of the way and transfer credits. Also once you get IN if you keep your grades UP and work hard MORE scholarships can become available. Hard work and commitment ARE recognized AND rewarded :)
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• It just depends on what college you want to go to. Local city colleges are quite cheap.
    Anonymous

• Stay tuned, Manco. College will be FREE before Obama is done. Of course, then a degree won't be worth the paper its printed on. But hey, all of his elite professor friends will have job security.
    Anonymous

• Apply for scholarships and grants... Try starting at a community college, then moving on to a state university. Apparently our education system is pretty good. People come from ALL over the world to attend US universities.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I think if your a resident in California state schools are free.
    Anonymous

• The one thing you can do to lower the price is buy prepaid college will freeze the fees at the price you get when you buy (which is the current rate) and by the time your children go to college you would have saved a lot because tuition keeps going higher and higher, if you do not use the prepaid college you can always get your money back. Or your kids can earn a full or partial scholarship if they have a high grade point average.
    There is no free universities or colleges.

Answer by older at 8:31 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• You get what you pay for
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Actually Older, there ARE FREE colleges. None of these colleges charge tuition.

Here is a link: http://drake.marin.k12.ca.us/staff/wing/free%20colleges.htm

This is in addition to states that offer tuition-free education. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2010