Catholic Accountability..........

Pope Benedict issued an apology to victims of sex abuse in Ireland on Saturday, and announced an investigation into parts of the Catholic Church in the country.
In a lengthy letter to the Irish faithful, he addressed the victims and their families: “You have suffered grievously and I am truly sorry. I know that nothing can undo the wrong you have endured.”

He had harsh words for priest abusers, asking them to acknowledge their guilt, and submit themselves to the demands of justice.

“You betrayed the trust that was placed in you by innocent young people and their parents, and you must answer for it before Almighty God…” he wrote.

I am SO glad he did this. I know many of you bash the church over this and the lack of accountability...do you find this to be a very positive sign??

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• this is not just a problem with Catholics... its just Catholics are not well liked so they get picked on more--- I'm glad he issued the statements but do not feel it was necessary-- I am Catholic and proud of it :)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 6:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Me too Mel....I have TRIED to explain to people that if THEY think that there are no pedophiles getting away with crap in churches and everyday everywhere then I worry more about THEIR children! There are pedophiles EVERYWHERE. But Catholics seem to get the brunt :( I am hoping this will make make some people realize that there IS accountability!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• He did the right, correct, moral thing as the leader of the Church. The reason that the RCC gets bashed is because of the way that the LEADERS of the Church dealt with past issues. Most ppl acknowledge that pedophilia is not limited to the RCC or priests, but it's the way Church officials handled the offenses (covering-up, denying and moving perps around) that bothered many. This is a good step, imo-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:23 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Are their pedohiles in Jail? have they been charged instead re routed?

You betrayed the trust that was placed in you by innocent young people and their parents, and you must answer for it before Almighty God…” he wrote.

And not the law?

Answer by older at 7:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Older...try again...its RIGHT THERE.....

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• momo, stand corrected, very nobel and grand of him after 30 or 40 years or more of abuse.

Answer by older at 7:55 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Can they do ANYTHING right at this point? Omg. YES they dealt with it wrong.......we can pull OTHER things from history where groups of people have dealt with things WRONGLY......hell Lincoln was a republican! Dems were on the OTHER side of civil rights. At some point you HAVE to give them a chance to right the wrong and its coming from the HIGHEST position in the church! All I have heard is blame placed on the higher ups in the church........the HIGHEST up (besides God) is trying to right a WRONG so yeah it IS pretty dang GRAND!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Nothing grand about acknowledging something that should have been acknowledge from day one, not to mention almost half a century. He had no choice but to speak these words, in order to keep some self respect for the church. Nothing grand about it.

Answer by older at 8:10 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• He did not do anything about pedophile priest working with kids in Germany..Op you should educate yourself some more!!!!!!

Anonymous