Newborns bellybutton

my baby is 9 days old today and for the last couple days his cord stump has been bleeding some. I noticed that its half way off. what should it look like under the stump?? Its kinda red and raw looking. this is my first baby so of course i'm worried.

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 6:54 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That can happen if it gets too moist, take a cottonball with alcohol on it and dab it on their at diaper changes the stump will fall of in the next few days and he will heal fine, my DD had this happen.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• It should be fine as long as it is not yellowish or greenish in there. Using the alcohol until it is all healed up is the right thing to do. It will probably fall off completely in the next day or two. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• That's totally normal. Just keep it clean with soap and water, and pat dry. You don't need to use alcohol.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 7:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• thank you! I have tried to keep it dry but have had a few diaper pee leaks other then that it has had no moisture. I was told no alcohol at all by dr and ped so i will just keep watching it. thanks again
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 7:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• oh, just to clarify, I mean clean the blood and around the stump with soap and water, but don't actually immerse the belly button in water until after the cord falls off. It will likely still bleed a bit after it falls off (for a few days possibly) and that is also fine, just try to keep it clean. If the blood forms a scab in the belly button, clean it as best you can but don't force the scab off. It will heal better if you don't force anything.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 8:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2010