Is it wrong for a 2 year old boy to have a play kitchen and food?

My husband and I are deciding on a good 2nd birthday gift for our two year old. We were out shopping and our son really liked the toy kitchens and play food and dishes. We already have a used kitchen that has some missing pieces and parts. My husband thinks that it is wrong to buy him a new one considering he is a boy.

queenfet

Asked by queenfet at 7:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is not wrong. Look at most chefs, they are men. There is nothing wrong with nurturing your child's interests.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:14 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Nope it's not wrong, we bought one for our son when he turned 3. And yep, many great chef's are men!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Hey, some of the best chefs in the world are men, why would it wrong?specially if this is what he likes.

Answer by older at 7:15 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Not at all! My dad is the one that taught me how to cook. I think it's a great thing for a boy to have. Gender roles are stupid.
    Anonymous

• OMG!!! My husband and I have been having this same disccusion for ever. Our son just turned three and we like to shop really early for the next xmas and birth day so we have been debating on a kitchen set for his 4th bday or a tool bench set and now my husband is a little more open to the idea of the kitchen set cause he knows our son likes it but befor he thought it was girly and didnt want him having one. I dont think there is any thing wrong with it and ultimatly its my decision lol just cause I said so. So you go get that kitchen set and let your son have fun. My little boy loves to get my cooking untinsles out and play with them so I know this is probably the best bday present for him.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 7:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• my son had one when he was 2, with a grocery cart!
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 7:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• My boys are 2 and 4 and I bought them one about a year ago. It's tan and green ... so it's not like it looks "girly" or anything. LoL. Males cook too ... what's the big deal? lol
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Heck no, it's not bad! Tell your DH if he doesn't believe you, to turn on the Food Network. Look at all the great male chefs on those shows- Bobby Flay, Masaharu Morimoto, Mike Symon, Tyler Florence, Mario Batali, Emeril Lagasse, Jose Garces... Your son could be an Iron Chef one day :)
    Oh, and also remind him that girls LOVE a guy who can cook!!
    If he is freaked out that a kitchen is too girly, look at one of the more masculine kitchens. There are some that are unisex, and a couple that seem a bit more masculine. Maybe he could teach your son how to cut stuff up with his play knives? You know, testosterone & sharp objects! ROFL
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 7:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Yeah, what Emslala said! My step boys are 4 and 5, some of their favorite shows are on Food Network. Three of their favorites are Guy's Big Bite, Good Eats and Tyler Florence.

They've also started wanting to come out to the kitchen and watch me cook. Plus watching some of the shows has helped in getting them to try new things. How many 5 yr olds do you know that will eat brussels sprouts?

I'd say give him the toy kitchen, we're thinking of getting ours either one of the newer easy bake ovens in a few years..or just teach them how to cook using the toaster oven.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• While I do not think it is wrong for boys to have kitchens I do think it is wrong to buy him a new one when he has one at home already. Buy him some new pots and pans or food for the current kitchen instead.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2010