Can I get some tips for feeding my family on a budget?

I have to feed a family of two adults and a two year old for $263.00 a month. What should I shop for? I would like my family to eat as healthly as possible. We always seem to run out of food at the end of the month and I am tired of it. $263.00 should be plenty right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We have a couple stores here that put out discounted meat usually after 10 am...Mondays are the best mornings to get great deals...most of the meat is half price. We bring it home repackage it and freeze. Our Wal-Mart every morning has a huge rack of discounted bakery goods, breads are very cheap. I have tons of inexpensive meals I can share with you. Message me if you want some ideas.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Freezer cooking helped us out. Also adding meat free meals. Buying from discount stores, or in bulk. The more work done to food the more expensive it is-i.e. bonless skinnless chicken breast vs whole chicken. Buy when things are on sale, and buy as many as you can. Hope that helps.
    CMLeonard

Answer by CMLeonard at 7:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• DONT BUY ANY THING WITH SUGAR OR SALT IN IT. MAKE A GARDEN WE DO.. GROW YOUR OWN BEEF.. IT TASTE LIKE A COW SHOULD... PLANT FRUIT  TREES FOR YOUR AREA  USE COPONS AND COMP ADDS.   LOOK AT THIS FOR HELP  ..   http://www.couponladyonline.com/    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=COUPON+LADY+&search_type=&aq=f

yovonna

Answer by yovonna at 8:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Take advantage of Buy one Get one free deals. Check your local grocery flyers online for these bargains. Use coupons if you have them. If you are going to eat them right away buy reduced vegetables and fruit. For reduced meat you can use them immediately or freeze them quickly for later. Some stores even have Buy one Get 2 free deals.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Buy dried beans for at least one meal a week. Don't make meat the center of your meals. Focus more on whole grains and veggies accented by meats. Chili with 1 lb meat and 2 cans of red kidney beans will make enough for one very hearty meal or two lighter meals for your family. Buy frozen vegetables, rice, pasta, make your own pasta sauces and freeze them. It's also easy to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, and especially easy to grow lettuce and herbs in containers.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)
    Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!
    Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:27 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.
    Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.
    Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.
    Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons, eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money, they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

• make a weekly meal plan. try to use mostly stuff you already have and what you don't have make a shopping list. try to only buy what is on your list. plant a small garden or see if there is a community garden in your area. join a food co-op. coupons and buy 1 get 1s are good. but don't buy something just because you have a coupon. make extra and freeze. this saves time and money. that is a tight budget for 3 but it can be done!!
    batsonsgirl

Answer by batsonsgirl at 12:05 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Go through your local ads match what is on sale with the coupons in the sunday paper. Always buy on sale. Last week I saved $112 because of the store sales and coupons, I spent $210 and have food for 4 for the next 3 weeks. Also you can mix store coupons with manufacture coupons. Most stores with a bakery will have a day old area or even grab bags. Don't buy any junk food...stay away from box dinners.
    It is actually cheaper to buy a roast or whole chicken and turn it into 2 meals. a bag of apples is cheaper then a bag of chips.
    buy old banana's at discount and make banana bread. skip pop and drink water and milk only at dinner time. Eggs and toast or oatmeal are good for cheap breakfast's
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Mar. 21, 2010