Sharing of food costs

My sister and I plus our families moved back home with mom and dad because of financial hardships. She and I both get food stamps. I cook dinner for the fam (there are 10 of us) Monday - Friday, and my mom is supposed to cook on Sat and Sun. Sis doesn't cook dinner because she works weird random hours. I have to make sure my fam of 5 has breakfast and lunch all month long. She feeds her 2 kids and her boyfriend who doesn't live with us. I noticed I have been buying ALL the dinner food plus the monthly staples. My food budget always runs out before the month is over and she's buying candy and sodas. Any suggestions on how to split the cost of food evenly? No one here does much menuing or list making besides me. I'm tired of being broke. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Shopping

• Maybe you could just talk to her about how much the food costs and divide up the total amount?
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I would make everyone go shopping together and make everyone pay
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 7:34 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Feed your families seperately, unless you agree to take turns and cook equally. But the easiest thing will be to keep it all seperate.
    Anonymous

• Can you use her card when you go shopping? I think you should use your card one week and hers the next week. She needs to be contributing to the REAL food but how can she do that unless she is at the store using her food stamp money? If yu give her a list will she go to the store and get what you need? You could figure how much it costs for a monthly budget and tell her she needs to contribute $250/month for her 5 people- or what ever amount is fair based on the total budget.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• If you are going to share food, cooking and costs then you, your mom and sis should sit down together make up a meal plan, and a grocery list. Then either the 3 of you go shopping together and all pay for the food or divide up the list into 3 portions and each person is responsible for buying the items on her own list with her money-- then stocking the items in the pantry/fridge until it is used for meals.

If your mom/sis do not want to contribute or pay for food and expect you to do it all--- then I would say keep everything separate and each family buy and cook for themselves.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• You and your sister and mom need to sit and discuss the meals you will have for the entire month. Make a shopping list and do not deviate from that list in any way shape or form. The left over funds are stored for regularly needed items such as bread, milk lunch meat, cheese...Your mom should be the one in charge so your sister can't say there is any favoritism.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 9:32 AM on Jul. 31, 2010