is it a cold or somethin else?

my 11 week old son has a stuffy nose, has been coughing, throwing up, and has diarrhea. also his nose was bleeding yesterday. i called his doctor and she said he probably has something but there is nothing to do about it bc he is so young. i don't really like some of the stuff she says and dont believe it. i am scared to death that he might have the swine flu or somethin serious, because i read on the internet that if he is younger than 3 months old and has cold symptoms that it is serious. i don't want to take him to the ER and them take his blood and put him through all that and it be nothing. but i also want to catch it asap if it is somethin serious. what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can you get some Ocean nose drops (salt water, but buy it) use a couple of drops in his nose, and use the blue bulb syringe to clear the mucous. Raise the head of his mattress by putting a large cushion or pillow UNDER the mattress, to help him with the cough. Use a cool mist humidifier in his room. Is he drinking okay? If he's feeding fine, try not to worry too much. They do get colds. Does he have a fever? If he has a fever over 100 degrees I would insist that his doctor see him, or take him to the e.r. P.M. if I can answer anything else for you. I"ve been a pediatric nurse for about 20 years. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• he hasn't had a fever. the last two feedings he ate 4oz. (he usually eats 4.5) but before that he was throwing up and would only eat 2 to 2.5 oz. i uses the little noses saline drops in his nose and we have a humidifier goin right now, so maybe he will be fine tomorrow! thank you so much!
    Anonymous

• No problem. I can not tell without seeing him really "how" he is. Remember to trust your instincts too. :) And do not drive yourself crazy about swine flu if you haven't been around anyone who has it. Flu is very scarce right now.

You might also want to think about finding another pediatrician if you don't trust what she is telling you. Seriously, PM me if you want and we'll talk about options. Wherever you are.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:02 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• his appetite is up, so that is a good sign. there is no fever, so that is good. what would concern me is the nosebleeds.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2010