bed time routine

i just started a bed time routine with my 4 month old dd we went for a 30 min walk in her stroller then i gave her a bath rubbed her with baby oil, read a book to her and gave her a bottle none of this was hard in fact i enjoyed it but i am worried that if something comes up and her routine gets broken that it will be bad so my question is have you tried this and does it work

sashasmom159

Asked by sashasmom159 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't do artificial routines. I don't believe in them. I don't need a routine to sleep. When the baby is tired, she nurses then sleeps. She does that on her own I didn't set it. i also think too much of the common "routines" stimulate rather than relax.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• oh yes it works. I have a 6yr old, 3yr old, 2yr old. My forst i didn;t do i routine and i was fighting for him to go to sleep to this day, but when my next two came i was like forget this i will make sure i have a routine set in place so that they get use to whats exspected of them, so from 3mths on they were in their own room going to bed at 7pm right after their bath it took about 2wks to get them completly sleeping through the night and about 3days of crying it out, but not they know whats exspected, they take their bath, get in pj's, grab their favorite baby doll, and hop into bed with no problem. if it gets messed up one night, just don't cave the next night keep your routine and stay firm even if he has to cry it out one night. thats my best advice
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 9:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Routines work very well for bedtime. My dd isn't as young as yours...she's 20 months. But we do bath, storytime, then bed. Sometimes we skip the bath but she still does just fine. Sounds like you're doing great!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Routines are great! But maybe take the walk away sometimes and then take something else away once in a while so she does get used to it just in case something does come up. My bed time routine consists of Bath, Lotion, PJs, Story, Snuggle, Bed. I sometimes minus the bath (when its just been a long day) and he's still fine :). Good for you I hope it works!
    DJsmom0725

Answer by DJsmom0725 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I have a routine for myself before bed everynight. I let the dog out one last time, I go to the bathroom, put lotion on my hands, set my clothes out for the next day, set my alarm, husband and I make the bed, and then we go to sleep. If my routine is messed up, I do not like it and have a hard time going to sleep but then again, I also have OCD. My daughter has a bed time routine and what we do is every once in awhile, we do something a little different, like skip the bath, or read a book right after the bottle. It works great for us.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2010