(Christians only please) Does God want you to befriend people that are not of the christian faith??

Hi, first of all in no means am i trying to start a debate so please be nice. Now that the air is clear, I have a questin, my husband has a friend who is not of the christian faith. Is it ok with God to befriend people whom are not christians? I know we as christians probaly would not have a whole lot in common with people who are not of the same faith and i take my faith seriously, i Love God and i want to do what he would want me to do. and if haveing friends who do not beleave would give me a chance to help them beleave then i would not want to disown them, So tell me what do you think?

God Bless

dkej242

Asked by dkej242 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have wondered the same thing, resently, and come to the conclution, that I depends on YOU.

If you can be around non-christians w/o their "habits" etc. rubing off on you, then you go girl and you be their light (in a loving fashion, of corse :-)
    But if you find yourself back sliding, or (as was my situation :) letting you fustrations w/ their worldly train of thought, get in the way of Gods light shining thru you - then you're better of not seing them. You're not showing them anything good.

Idealy, I think God would want us to be around non-christians, but I don't think you can truly call them friends. Friends love us, and if they're not Christians they don't really know what true love is -- but they could maybe learn, thru us.

Good luck and God bless you and your hubby too :-)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 9:08 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• So if you can't change their minds you don't want to be friends with them? Can't you leave Jesus at home for a night and just hang out and have some fun? Maybe you need to chill a little and stop trying to convert everyone to your beliefs every minute of the day!
    Anonymous

• What kind of people did Jesus hang out with? Think about that, and I think you'll have your answer.
    Anonymous

• The way I look at it is Jesus was friends with people anyone else would turn their back on (the whores, the beggars, the sick to name a few). So, yes, I would say that it is fine to be friends with someone who is not a Christian. It's what Jesus would do!
    Anonymous

• some of us are too weak in our faith to do what Jesus did, but i guess if your strong enough thats fine, but it also states in the bible that we are not supose to mingle with the non beleavers, and there is alot Jesus can do that we can't because he is much stronger
    Anonymous

• Anon 8:58pm: No i cannot leave Jesus away for a night, i bring him everywhere i go, it's a love unbelivers cannot understand. Im not trying to convert, im trying to give people a chance to love Jesus the way us christian do and to experience his love for us that is like no other love ever experienced. Im not a bible beater, i do not force God on anyone, if someone opens the floor and askes a question i am ready to give a bountiful supply of wisdom, like jesus would do
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Nynne, Amen. i agree and i have my answer. im alot like you on that girl
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I have to say that I'm disgusted by some of these answers. God calls us to spread His Word, not to other Christians, but to those who don't know Christ. You can and should be strong enough in your faith to be a true friend to anyone, no matter who they are. You are to be an example and a light to them. A true Christian would not turn their back on someone who needs to be told about God.

Anonymous

• It says nothing about not befriending them, actually I think it says the opposite.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Really Christians don't have alot in common with non Christians. We look at things in a completely different way than they do. Yes we should befriend them but our goal in befriending them is to lead them to Christ. Here is a few good tips in befriending non Christians

1.Remember your mission. Always be mindful that your purpose is to point your friends toward Christ.
    2.Your closest friends should be those who share your belief in Christ and can encourage you in your walk with Him.
    3. Being friends with non-Christians doesn't give us permission to love the things of this world or to participate in worldly behavior.
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 20, 2010