Can you start pumping breast milk before your baby is born?

Im not going to save it or anything im just curious if my breast pump works right.. Is that a bad idea? I know it sounds silly but please no bashing. This is my first baby im not sure how the breastfeeding/ pump situation work.

Sophie4910

Asked by Sophie4910 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Pumps can be hard on the nipples, and you wouldn't want to cause cracking and sore nipples before baby gets here. You wouldn't even be able to get enough colostrum to make it work the irritation, mama. Save the pump for after, when your mature milk comes in and begins to regulate.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 10:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Lucky u if u have your milk already. I didnt get mine till about 4-5 days after my first. If its there I guess u could if your just going to throw it away anyway.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• If you use a breast pump while you're still pregnant, your body releases oxytocin, which can cause you to have contractions. If you have contractions, and you continue to pump it can harm the baby. Additionally, your breasts produce colostrum before the milk, which your baby needs when first born.
    Anonymous

• Well I dont really know if its alot of milk. Im 37 weeks so im not far from my due date date but if I put pressure on my boobs they do leak milk.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• There is no milk for days after the baby is born. Colostrum comes first and you probably wouldn't be able to pump barely any of it. Save it for when the baby is born. To check your pump, turn it on if its electric and test the suction on your hand. You can do the same with a manual.
    Anonymous

• Don't do it. Just don't pump if you're still pregnant. It's not your actual milk yet either. But don't do it. There's plenty of time to test out your pump AFTER baby's born and breastfeeding well.
    Anonymous

• No you really can't if it is your first then it can cause you to go into preterm labor because the stimulation releases labor hormones, and you don't get actual milk until a day to a week after the baby is born, what you have now is called colostrum.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I was anxious for my second to come so I used my old breast pump for like 30 minutes and later that night contractions started.. They say nipple stimulation can cause this! Save the milk or colostrum for the baby when it gets here.
    Anonymous

• Don't listen to anon 1008 PLEASE!!!
    Anonymous