Is it really so bad?

We rarely get to dine out, so it was such a disappointment today when we had a bad experience. It was so much the restaurant as the people we were sitting near. The woman had two kids and a baby in a car seat. There were also two other adults present, (no idea who was actually mom to which but it doesn't matter). One of the kids (maybe age 8 or 9) wasn't being bad really, she just wasn't up for eating and as a result was quite restless. She wasn't being loud or anything like that, just kept switching positions from sitting on her feet to her butt. The woman would yell at her really loud to quit what she was doing and to EAT. It was so disturbing. I've been there, I've had to watch a child who was actually bad in the restaurant...we didn't stay. Is it really so bad to get up and leave now? Those people who don't leave, are they really that oblivious to the diners around them? Guess what? It's not embarrasing to leave!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Thank god I'm passed that stage now but that's exactly what I used to do when my son would not stop misbehaving. If he started throwing a tantrum in the store, I'd leave my cart and walk him out of the store and we'd sit in the car until he was ready to go back in. A few days ago he was really energetic and wouldn't stop jumping on the cart and off the cart as I was pushing it. He bumped a lady walking passed in a crowded isle and I made him walk over to her and apologize. After that, he was pretty chilled out. It's good to show kids that actions have consequences. You act up, we leave.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:25 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I left a restaurant tonight. I was dealing with monster toddle who was throwing food around. We flagged the server, got boxes and paid. I also cleaned up the mess. Servers really do hate cleaning up after your kid....tip them appropriate and/or clean up a bit. I would rather do that than sit stressed and try to eat. I like to enjoy the dinner I have to pay for. r
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I never left a restaurant or store when my child(ren) misbehaved. That only teaches them how to get what they want. It does nothing to teach them how to behave in public. I am the mom that will scold my kids in public. I've put my son in timeout in a restaurant too. You know what? Now I get compliments on how well behaved they are.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:48 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• motherofhope98...how does leaving a store or restaurant without them getting what they want....giving them what they want? I agree that you should discipline them on the spot if you are able. But if my child acts up in a videostore because I won't get him candy, he is NOT getting the video we went in to get for him. If we're at a restaurant, he is NOT getting the food he wants because he acts up, and as a result, he learns to be polite in public...
    Anonymous

• It teaches them that if they don't want to go shopping or have to sit in a restaurant that all they have to do is throw a fit & they get to leave.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2010